Intro to pole fishing

tilly05

Reaction score
Iv been given a 13m pole by my father in law but quite frankly, I have very little idea what I'm doing with it!!
I have two main venues I fish. There was a few previous tied rigs with it but last time out I had to modify them to suit the swim I was in. So biggest thing at the moment is..
Iv got the rigs currently tied to work on one venue, what happens when I go somewhere else and my rigs are then way to long, or way to short? Do I have to go plumb up then retie then go fish? Help me, there's got to be an easy way

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You can make rigs longer by tying on extra line or shorter by cutting them down.
Ideally you need to visit your tackle shop and invest in a selection of floats, a couple of packs of winders and a few spools of rig line in various diameters.
The silicone tubing to fix your floats on are usually sold in a pack containing a variety of diameters too.
All this comes to a few quid but in the long run its cheaper than buying ready tied rigs. I tie all my own rigs at home and it's time consuming but much easier than doing it on the bank.
You can then tie 2 sets of rigs to suit the 2 venues you fish.

I have a large selection of rigs in my box. I keep my canal rigs in one drawer, mostly tied to use on my top 3 then another drawer with deep river/lake rigs on bigger winders which are long enough to use on a top 4 kit.
Using a marker pen I write the length of the stored rigs on the side of the winders.

My canal rigs for instance, short medium and long.

tilly05

Reaction score
Ahh, so the guys with drawers full of winders aren't just showing off then! Looks like i have a lot to learn, and a few quid to spend!
Think I will just use it on one venue for now I have between 10-15 winders and floats so can make those up and learn what each float is actually for!
Had no idea it had become so complicated!

I don't mind tieing my own hook lengths, like the feeling iv participated rather than just buying them. Loads of time for paying for them when my eyes and hands get older

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I love tying new pole rigs and usually do at least half a dozen of the same main line, hook length, float etc. That way, if you get smashed up, you can quickly replace the rig or step up in strength, hook size if you feel you need to.

Like anything, practice makes perfect and I love my pole fishing. Hope you get to enjoy it too.