Advice on a reel please ...

kimallse

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Can someone please help a newbie..... I bought a Shimano Exage FD Reel, Size: 3000 with the belief it would be good for ledgering but I have now been told it's not suitable. Can someone please advise me.

Thank you so very much in advance.

Kim :)

B

binka

I'm not familiar with the reel but having looked it up I honestly can't see any reason why it wouldn't be suitable for general legering, unless there is some niche situation involved with a specific requirement.

Best thing to do is go out, try it and prove 'em wrong :)

thecrow

Reaction score
Did whoever told you it was no good for ledgering say why it would be no good? There are always lots of opinions in angling about tackle and methods but that's all they are so I would fish with it and form your own before listening to others.

you don't say what type of ledgering you want to use it for, if its just general Stillwater fishing I see nothing wrong with it at all, it might be a little on the light side for rivers but then that would also depend on the type of river.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Back in the old days, before we had such a massive range of reels to choose from, we (or at least, I) had to make do with one or two reels and they caught fish just the same. As others have said above, go out and give it a whirl and see how you get on over a number of trips..
All too easy to say 'not suitable' and maybe it won't cover all eventualities, but it still winds in the line and let's you make another cast, so what's not to like?

Go enjoy it!!

kimallse

Reaction score
Did whoever told you it was no good for ledgering say why it would be no good? There are always lots of opinions in angling about tackle and methods but that's all they are so I would fish with it and form your own before listening to others.

you don't say what type of ledgering you want to use it for, if its just general Stillwater fishing I see nothing wrong with it at all, it might be a little on the light side for rivers but then that would also depend on the type of river.

I will be fishing lakes to start and was told it would be no good for ledgering because it doesn't appear to be able to "free reel" (if that's the correct terminology.)

Thank you for a very fast response.

Kim :D

---------- Post added at 10:55 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

Back in the old days, before we had such a massive range of reels to choose from, we (or at least, I) had to make do with one or two reels and they caught fish just the same. As others have said above, go out and give it a whirl and see how you get on over a number of trips..
All too easy to say 'not suitable' and maybe it won't cover all eventualities, but it still winds in the line and let's you make another cast, so what's not to like?

Go enjoy it!!

Thank you for a very fast response. I will be trying it out. I would love to be able to prove this person wrong... haha.... :D

Kim :)

B

binka

I will be fishing lakes to start and was told it would be no good for ledgering because it doesn't appear to be able to "free reel" (if that's the correct terminology.)

I understand a bit more about what you mean now Kim.

If you're fishing a running rig, eg. the weight can run on the line, you would likely be using a quivertip as the bite indication so the lack of a free spool isn't an issue as you're watching the tip, usually whilst holding the rod on a rest.

If you're fishing a fixed or bolt rig eg. the weight doesn't run on the line and is designed to make the fish bolt then it's better to have that free spool facility just in case you take your eye off the ball for a moment as the free spool will pay out line until you begin to wind in which disengages it.

You can still fish bolt rigs with a non-free spool reel by using a bobbin indicator and a line clip which you can buy separately and clip onto your rod which will allow you to fish open bale arm with the reel you have.

kimallse

Reaction score
I understand a bit more about what you mean now Kim.

If you're fishing a running rig, eg. the weight can run on the line, you would likely be using a quivertip as the bite indication so the lack of a free spool isn't an issue as you're watching the tip, usually whilst holding the rod on a rest.

If you're fishing a fixed or bolt rig eg. the weight doesn't run on the line and is designed to make the fish bolt then it's better to have that free spool facility just in case you take your eye off the ball for a moment as the free spool will pay out line until you begin to wind in which disengages it.

You can still fish bolt rigs with a non-free spool reel by using a bobbin indicator and a line clip which you can buy separately and clip onto your rod which will allow you to fish open bale arm with the reel you have.

Thank you very much for a very informative response. :)

I really do appreciate all of your help. It's lovely to know I don't have to feel too daft in asking my questions :cool:

Kim :) xx

chrissh

Reaction score
You will be able to use your Exage 3000 FD for ledgering just slacken the front drag of so there’s a little resistance on the clutch enough to stop your rod being pulled in .when you are playing a fish the clutch will slip so use you middle finger as a brake on the spool (that’s your finger that over the reel and rod handle) if you have just bought the reel new from a tackle shop ask if they will change it for the Exage 3000 RD (rear drag)

john step

Reaction score
I love it here already.... Thank you xx

Blimey Kim, if you keep putting kisses at your signature it might give Binka the idea to start kissing everyone and that would be frightening:D

kimallse

Reaction score
You will be able to use your Exage 3000 FD for ledgering just slacken the front drag of so there’s a little resistance on the clutch enough to stop your rod being pulled in .when you are playing a fish the clutch will slip so use you middle finger as a brake on the spool (that’s your finger that over the reel and rod handle) if you have just bought the reel new from a tackle shop ask if they will change it for the Exage 3000 RD (rear drag)

Thank you Chris, I bought it a while ago, so too late to change it. I'll follow your advice. I'm sure I will have fun with it anyway..... ;) Kim

B

binka

Don't listen to a word of it Kim, you kiss away to your heart's content.

They're just jealous of my sophisticated good looks and captivating charm...

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Nice try, but attempting to disguise your mutant nose as a method feeder mould simply by writing 'DRENNAN' on it ain't fooling anyone.

john step

Reaction score
See what you started Kim........welcome again to the madhouse.