Shotting pattern

sheffields12

Reaction score
i know you probably get asked a million times guys.. I'm sorry!

But I'm heading out to a local commercial later. Will be fishing using sweetcorn on a waggler.

the waggler is just a standard 3BB, not loaded Waggler.

how would you guys go about shotting this? I'm still learning so would be nice to hear how others would do it so I can use some of the tips.

chrissh

Reaction score
The pattern can depend on how you want you bait to sink and the depth of water and flow

Are you fishing up in the water or to deed depth /laying on the bottom?

if you want the bait to sink slow put most of you shot near the top and use dust shot near the hook length, if you want to increase the speed the bait drops slid the shot down towards the hook in 1 or 2 at a time

Guide to shotting patterns — Angling Times

Last edited:

sheffields12

Reaction score
thanks.

I usually try fish on the bottom, but will now and then move the shot up and down to see.

Think I'll start with a few shot down the line and see how it goes.

john step

Reaction score
When you say THE float does that mean you have but one.

Thats limiting yourself with distance and also ability to overcome wind, depth and tow. You can't decide what float to use until you get there surely.

sheffields12

Reaction score
I'm a true novice.

It was the float I was choosing to use.

DUe to conditions though I had to switch to a different, loaded float.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Shotting patterns should depend on the water being fished, the species being targeted and the prevailing conditions. However, I firmly believe in keeping things as simple as possible. Reading the thoughts of a good river matchman on the subject is likely to leave a beginner utterly bemused. However, there are essentially three main shotting patterns (river or stillwater).

1) Bulk shotting. A group of relatively weighty shot (or olivette) relatively close to the hook. This is best utilised when targeting bottom feeding fish. Can also be utilised to combat tow in breezy conditions.

2) Strung out (evenly) shotting. best used for fish that are coming up in the water to intercept baits. It also allows baits to get to full depth if they are not intercepted. Careful use of this type of shotting can match the fall of the bait through the water to that of free offerings.

3) Shotting at the float. The vast majority of shot placed near the float with only a small dropper shot above the hook. Best for fish feeding up in the water. If the line is capable of reaching full depth, a bait will eventually reach the bottom if it's not intercepted. However, if the fish are defiantly staying up in the water, there's little point in fishing at full depth. The biggest issue with fishing like this is that the float is very likely to drift in all but the calmest conditions.

I find that I'm invariably trying to catch bottom feeding fish and bigger specimens (in rivers or lakes). To that end, I usually plump for some minor variation on the bulk shotting theme. I don't even bother with huge dollops of subtlety. I've not found using big olivettes or large shot to be detrimental to my catch rates. For that reason, I find using a load of No4 or 6 shot to be too much like hard work.