Totally new! Would love some advice please :-)

howdoifish

Reaction score
Hi, I am posting on behalf of my 11 year old Son.
We "had a go" at fishing off Mevagissey harbour while we were away with a cheap rod and he loved it. He did not catch anything but got to grips with casting out and just loved the whole thing.

So now we are back in Cheltenham and he would love to go fishing but I have no idea where to start.
I now realise he needs a licence (which I think are free for kids?) but that's as far as t goes. I looked at some fishing lakes but it seems like you need lots of gear just to go and see if you like it such as landing mats and nets etc.

I don't know what is course fishing, fly fishing etc etc....we went to Go Outdoors and the lady there was helpful and recommended using a spinner as it is easier......do you use a spinner in fishing lakes?

If anyone knows of a good spot for a young beginner near Cheltenham and what we would need without shelling out to much initially I would love some advice please.

Thank you :)

chrissh

Reaction score
Hi Amanda
There’s two way you can go 1. Fishing with a pole 2. With rod and reel
I would not start your son of spinning just yet. Start him of with float or feeder fishing
Forget Go Outdoors and go to a tackle shop they will sort everything out that you need plus give you advice
Korum sell a starter kit with most of what you will need around about £60 it come with a dvd to show how to set up and fish

Some links to click on
Angling Journey - Club Korum
fishing gloucestershire
https://www.cheltenham.gov.uk/info/33/parks_and_open_spaces/296/outdoor_sports_facilities/3

sheffields12

Reaction score
I'm recently new, so hopefully I can help a little.

First of all, don't spend too much on the tackle. You don't need to at the start, especially as there is a chance he may not take to it fully!

I'd look at buying a cheapish Match/Float rod, reels can be purchased cheap enough too. I started with this: https://www.fishingrepublic.net/sha...MI0rzmj76d1QIV0BbTCh0yjAmbEAQYASABEgL54_D_BwE

Then you will need to end tackle, such as hooks, floats, shots etc. As mentioned above, head out to a fishing tackle shot, they will sort you out. But go with a budget! I went and they were trying to sell me rods at £60 and reels around £50... I soon realised I didn't need to spend that much to begin with.

Terry D

Reaction score
Log onto the Angling Trust's website and look for a coach in your area. It will be money well spent and you should get info on what to buy and what not to buy as well as learning the basics on your local water. Far better going with someone who knows what they're doing and showing you how to do it. You will never remember much of what you're told in a shop once you're on the bank, but you will remember far more once you've been shown how to do it. Just try a coach for an hour or two and see how you get on.
Alternatively, ask on here if there's any member willing to take you and your son out for a few hours.