Using Hemp - Help!

sheffields12

Reaction score
Sorry for the multiple threads asking for help guys.

however, when on the river Yesterday the warden advised me to feed using hemp.

I've never used Hemp, in fact I only ever use maggots, corn and bread!
Quick google search on hemp returns loads of different results.
Seeds, oil, tins of stuff, bags of stuff etc.

So, my question to you lot is... What do i actually need? He mentioned just thrown in Hemp and Maggot as hook bait.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Just buy a tin of cooked hemp from your tackle shop, feed a pinch by hand or catapult every trot through with your maggot hookbait.
The elderberries will be ripe on the trees soon, try hooking one and trot it down whilst feeding hemp for the better roach....

sheffields12

Reaction score
Cheers. I saw the tins but wanted to ask before I bought anything.

So many different kinds of baits these days! :wh

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When Simon says, 2feed a pinch" it really means just a pinch, no more than maybe 8 or 10 grains at a time as it is very easy to over feed when loose feeding hemp.

Remember too that it is more dense than maggots so will sink at a different rate so adjust your line of feed accordingly.

Also it is worthwhile picking up a tin of Tares (as a hook bait) as the combination of Tares and Hemp can also be irresistible to roach.

Good luck . . . . .

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
It is possible to hook hemp, depending on dexterity and eyesight. Find one which is just split and carefully roll the bait onto the hook - it takes practice, and you can hook more than one if you want. Another method is to push the hook bend into the split.

If it's not to your liking, then as above tares or elderberry is fine.

Also note, when using hemp, you may get false bites where the fish are picking at the shot on your line, I use styl / stotz type weights when doing this, although they will still have a go at them.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
You could try imitation hemp on the hook and feed cooked hemp

If you get results with hemp it will prove cheaper to buy dry hemp seed from a tackle shop then prepare it yourself

Soak the hemp seed overnight and then boil for 20 minutes until the seed splits

Note , cooking hemp will stink out the kitchen , do it when the wife us out with the windows open

sheffields12

Reaction score
You could try imitation hemp on the hook and feed cooked hemp

If you get results with hemp it will prove cheaper to buy dry hemp seed from a tackle shop then prepare it yourself

Soak the hemp seed overnight and then boil for 20 minutes until the seed splits

Note , cooking hemp will stink out the kitchen , do it when the wife us out with the windows open
Deffo sounds like a job for when she's at work all day! Luckily shes a nurse so starts early and finishes late, meaning I have time to clear the stink!

Cheers guys, I'll probably try with some tinned stuff first and see how i go!

robtherake

Reaction score
The leftover bait from your session can be successfully frozen, although I prefer to allow the bait to ferment to improve its attraction. This is a moot point, with some preferring fresh bait, but I've successfully kept a bucket of fermented hemp for months, just topping it up with freshly boiled and cooled bait as the level drops. This does stink a bit - rather more than the original cooking smell - and is best kept out of the house. Personally, I don't mind the smell of cooking or fermenting hemp, but spouses are rarely in agreement.:D

theartist

Reaction score
The leftover bait from your session can be successfully frozen, although I prefer to allow the bait to ferment to improve its attraction. This is a moot point, with some preferring fresh bait, but I've successfully kept a bucket of fermented hemp for months, just topping it up with freshly boiled and cooled bait as the level drops. This does stink a bit - rather more than the original cooking smell - and is best kept out of the house. Personally, I don't mind the smell of cooking or fermenting hemp, but spouses are rarely in agreement.:D

Freezing deffo saves a few bob Rob

To avoid any cooking smells trying half filling an OLD thermos flask with hemp then pouring boiling water in, leave overnight and job done. This is how we used to do it oh also adding a little bi carb as it was supposed to turn the hemp dark.

Surprised no ones mentioned this unless it's gone out of vogue, it seemed to work ok except for the time I used the wrong flask, for some reason women get really tetchy when their coffee tastes a bit hempy

barbelboi

Reaction score
Yes, just make sure it's properly defrosted before use. I'll also keep in a food bag in the fridge for at least a week............

sheffields12

Reaction score
Perfect, cheers guys.

Will head out to my tackle shop after payday and stock up on some!

How about using it in a feeder, is that possible or not really advised? Would i be better adding some to some other stuff such as grinded up corn?

B

binka

It's worth asking if they do their own hemp, many tackle shops do by the pint and it's usually considerably cheaper.

Frozen straight after cooking and cooling and I've never noticed any discernible difference in the quality or attraction.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I freeze mine many times over without affecting the seeds. If you buy a tin, strain the juices off (this can be frozen as well) and bag it up in sandwich bags or similar and pop them in the freezer - lasts for months !!
The juice makes a good additive to ground bait............

rayner

Reaction score
Perfect, cheers guys.

How about using it in a feeder, is that possible or not really advised? Would i be better adding some to some other stuff such as grinded up corn?

Hemp is good with meat, it can be squeezed into a cage feeder.
As for hooking hemp it's not difficult in fact it's quite easy. Get a seed that has only just started to split, if you look at hemp there's a dint at the top of the seed where it was attached to the plant. Hold it with your thumb nail at this point, give it a squeeze then push your hook in. It should just click in securely.

robtherake

Reaction score
Perfect, cheers guys.

Simplest way is to sandwich the hemp between two plugs of groundbait in a cage feeder. You can get a surprising amount of hemp in the sandwich. If the rules don't permit groundbait, liquidised breadcrumb makes a decent alternative. A mini spod, which can be used with a normal carp rod, is better for laying down a carpet of bait quickly.

https://www.tackleup.com/gardner-tackle/gardner-pocket-rocket-mini-spod.html

Last edited: