Bri's re-learning experience thread :-)

manxnorton

Reaction score
Hello all,
With a warm welcome into the forum, I thought making myself a thread for my re-learning the art of fishing, due to memory loss.
Where start!
I'm just looking at floats at the minute and what the mean to me!
And then learning the elastic strength, hook sizes etc and put this info into my small brain:rolleyes:
At the mo I'm thinking small silver fish then in time up to bigger fish...once I'm happy with this all.
Any suggestions with a varied variety of float rigs, size and the hooks would be really appreciated as I struggle online to buy! But if I get a link and picture I'm
Able to fathom out what's what?
Still don't know what pole I'm going to use from my pal..I report back!
Notice there a hell of a lot of rigs online..so me thinks I start reading up the elastic-float rig-hook chart etc.

I've look at this pole, and any suggestions be appreciated?
Leeda Assassin Carp 6.0M Take apart Margin Pole Fishing | eBay

Buying the rollers this weekend and once I'm happy with the float rigs to buy, I'll be happy lol
I'll ask the lake we're going to fish, then have I drive ova and look at the lay of the land..hoping disable friendly!! How close to parking...distance to carry the kit n all the other questions I'll need...
Off to research...
Thanks for viewing!
Bri

manxnorton

Reaction score
guys,
without getting anyone cofused, as I'm stuggling with all the best set up of floats, main line, hook length and hooks etc.
is there ready made float rigs I can buy?
are the floats with the main line already shotted?
if so what size hook?
probly looking at small silver...open water...up to larger fish.
margins etc.

hope this makes sence.:eek:mg:
bri

Keith M

Reaction score
There are a lot of ready tied pole floats to choose from, the floats in the link below are just a sample of what's available :

Ready tied pole float rigs

But if you do a web search using the string: 'ready tied pole float rigs' you should see lots of different ones to choose from. They are not all that expensive either and they come with hooks and shot already attached and for catching fish from Roach up to Carp

Be careful about buying ready tied rigs that have barbed hooks as most commercials and clubs have a 'No barbed hooks' rule these days.

Keith

Last edited:

chrissh

Reaction score
Hope this helps

Canal 16-18-20
River 14-16
Carp 14-16

Ready Made Whip POLE RIGS Size 14 16 Hooks Canal River Silver Fish

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-x-Ready-Made-Whip-POLE-RIGS-
Size-14-16-Hooks-Canal-River-SilverFish-/151260388260?epid=0&hash=item2337d25ba4:g:-44AAOSw2olZcQhd

NEW 5 x Ready Made Whip POLE RIGS Size 16 18 20 Roach Canal River SilverFish | eBay

Carp & commercial readymade pole floats
10 ASSORTED READY MADE POLE RIGS ON WINDERS,CARP,COMMERCIAL,FISHING

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

Hello all,
With a warm welcome into the forum, I thought making myself a thread for my re-learning the art of fishing, due to memory loss.
Where start!
I'm just looking at floats at the minute and what the mean to me!
And then learning the elastic strength, hook sizes etc and put this info into my small brain:rolleyes:
At the mo I'm thinking small silver fish then in time up to bigger fish...once I'm happy with this all.
Any suggestions with a varied variety of float rigs, size and the hooks would be really appreciated as I struggle online to buy! But if I get a link and picture I'm
Able to fathom out what's what?
Still don't know what pole I'm going to use from my pal..I report back!
Notice there a hell of a lot of rigs online..so me thinks I start reading up the elastic-float rig-hook chart etc.

I've look at this pole, and any suggestions be appreciated?
Leeda Assassin Carp 6.0M Take apart Margin Pole Fishing | eBay

Buying the rollers this weekend and once I'm happy with the float rigs to buy, I'll be happy lol
I'll ask the lake we're going to fish, then have I drive ova and look at the lay of the land..hoping disable friendly!! How close to parking...distance to carry the kit n all the other questions I'll need...
Off to research...
Thanks for viewing!
Bri

these are not to bad for under £60

Feeder Pack Starter Kit - Club Korum
Club Korum Pole Fishing Kit | Ted Carter

manxnorton

Reaction score
Hope this helps

Canal 16-18-20
River 14-16
Carp 14-16

Ready Made Whip POLE RIGS Size 14 16 Hooks Canal River Silver Fish

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-x-Ready-Made-Whip-POLE-RIGS-
Size-14-16-Hooks-Canal-River-SilverFish-/151260388260?epid=0&hash=item2337d25ba4:g:-44AAOSw2olZcQhd

NEW 5 x Ready Made Whip POLE RIGS Size 16 18 20 Roach Canal River SilverFish | eBay

Carp & commercial readymade pole floats
10 ASSORTED READY MADE POLE RIGS ON WINDERS,CARP,COMMERCIAL,FISHING

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

these are not to bad for under £60

Feeder Pack Starter Kit - Club Korum

bloody 'ell that quick!
thank you very much.
as I was going to say to Keith your selection will suit me for all fishing at the pole.?
I think I get the hang on the sizes etc...hoping they say it on the winder to help me.
at least ive got a start..
might need a rig box/tray now! :eek:mg::wh
thx
Bri

---------- Post added at 10:18 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

hmmmmmmmmm! missed this!
like it...
as I was saying ill go for a starter kit, then progress.
why not eh!
let you know how I get on:thumbs:
buzzing now....I can online buying and not get confused and mess it up!!!:wh
bri

---------- Post added at 11:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 ----------

bought this kit for now :)

and when our lass has gone to bed...buy the rigs suggested.
thank you all for the help.
bri :)

manxnorton

Reaction score
Hello all,
been reading up about the rigs etc.
and info overload crept in..
I'm looking at the Drennan AS float rigs series.
each of the series has the model for I.e. 0.3g 0.4g 0.5g
could you tell me what the crack on the weight of then and why using them? or suggest a middle of the road one.like 0.4g...if you can understand me!
thx for your help.
Bri

manxnorton

Reaction score
think ive got nuff rigs:eek::wh
wgHPHg1.jpg

bri

chrissh

Reaction score
Hello all,
been reading up about the rigs etc.
and info overload crept in..
I'm looking at the Drennan AS float rigs series.
each of the series has the model for I.e. 0.3g 0.4g 0.5g
could you tell me what the crack on the weight of then and why using them? or suggest a middle of the road one.like 0.4g...if you can understand me!
thx for your help.
Bri

Theses links will help
How to select the right pole floats - Angler's Mail
Fishing Split Shot - Guide to the weights of split shot

manxnorton

Reaction score

Thanks so much taking time to reply.
The shotting chart is a great help.
I've seen the first one before, for all I understand it...I think I trying to say what name of float (name brand) already with the float, main line, hook length, hook and the shotting pattern and I get a visual straight away...as you can imaging my problem is collating what I'm reading and putting a visual image to what I'm reading! If you can understand?
As they say picture paints a thousand word or what ever it is lol
I.e. If you said 'use a float 4x12 main line 6lb, hook length 5lb, size 14 hook'.as my memeroy comes back and re-learning what it may indicate to me a middle size carp!! But don't quote me on it lol
It's just trying again through the minefield, specially as I haven't fish with a pole..and it's years since float fishing for small fish.
The memories are vivid more with carp on the rod and rigs etc..
But alas my rods, rigs are stored away, I can say I'll prob never go back to the rod!! Unless there's a micacle with my disibilty changing!
Don't get me wrong plenty of disable fishermen/woman adapt things to suit!! But me, time to look at the pole...
As always never say never! :)
Every day reading up I get a better understanding..and the info sinks in better!
Sad but 06:20am I was sorting out my tackle boxes and storing the rod kit and rigs etc that I'll not use..
Is it right that say float has a 0.4g size does that mean 0.4g of shot to sort it out?
Anyways, probably smash you head in!
Double bacon n egg Mcmuffin n coffee and I stop thinking too much!
Hard being me!! Haha!
Hope my woffle you can understand..
Bri

---------- Post added at 02:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

Forgot to mention to me going to a lake etc and talking to fishermen/woman could be great! Ok some don't like a nosy so n so like me haha!
But it brings memory's years when I blank for nearly 6 months..tried this n that! Changed pegs all that usual..ready to give up!
When a blokes comes up 'm8 you look fed up!"
Told him...then just said "you'll not catch with what your using (bate) this time of year!
It was luncheon meat I think! And he set about looking at my rigs...main line etc etc..
Within the hour proud as punch with a decent size mirror about 5lb..
Then I straight away payed of over nite!
Caught 6 carp the pb was 11lb lol
But I learned so much..one thing confidence with your kit, don't cut drills! And if there's something wrong with no catching! Learn the lake, weather, bait n all that..
I'm honest I didn't know him! But one of other bloke said there was a match angler down here (can't remeber who he fished for Diawa or something!) n describes him!! True story honest!
Anyways the bacon n egg Mcmuffin was ok but the coffee was rancid as usual!!

Tbh I'm not in a rush to try n get big fish! Just float n hook length for small fish!
Then when I'm comfortable..and happy with the pole etc. Move onto larger fish!
Also don't want to fork out thousand if for some reason pole fishing isn't my bag!
Hence all my carp rods, reels and tackle is stored away.
One thing though I'm enjoying myself again..too many years consitrating on illness etc... life for enjoyment!!
Catch ya later
Bri

chrissh

Reaction score
Thanks so much taking time to reply.
The shotting chart is a great help.
I've seen the first one before, for all I understand it...I think I trying to say what name of float (name brand) already with the float, main line, hook length, hook and the shotting pattern and I get a visual straight away...as you can imaging my problem is collating what I'm reading and putting a visual image to what I'm reading! If you can understand?
As they say picture paints a thousand word or what ever it is lol
I.e. If you said 'use a float 4x12 main line 6lb, hook length 5lb, size 14 hook'.as my memeroy comes back and re-learning what it may indicate to me a middle size carp!! But don't quote me on it lol
It's just trying again through the minefield, specially as I haven't fish with a pole..and it's years since float fishing for small fish.
The memories are vivid more with carp on the rod and rigs etc..
But alas my rods, rigs are stored away, I can say I'll prob never go back to the rod!! Unless there's a micacle with my disibilty changing!
Don't get me wrong plenty of disable fishermen/woman adapt things to suit!! But me, time to look at the pole...
As always never say never! :)
Every day reading up I get a better understanding..and the info sinks in better!
Sad but 06:20am I was sorting out my tackle boxes and storing the rod kit and rigs etc that I'll not use..
Is it right that say float has a 0.4g size does that mean 0.4g of shot to sort it out?
Anyways, probably smash you head in!
Double bacon n egg Mcmuffin n coffee and I stop thinking too much!
Hard being me!! Haha!
Hope my woffle you can understand..
Bri

---------- Post added at 02:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

Forgot to mention to me going to a lake etc and talking to fishermen/woman could be great! Ok some don't like a nosy so n so like me haha!
But it brings memory's years when I blank for nearly 6 months..tried this n that! Changed pegs all that usual..ready to give up!
When a blokes comes up 'm8 you look fed up!"
Told him...then just said "you'll not catch with what your using (bate) this time of year!
It was luncheon meat I think! And he set about looking at my rigs...main line etc etc..
Within the hour proud as punch with a decent size mirror about 5lb..
Then I straight away payed of over nite!
Caught 6 carp the pb was 11lb lol
But I learned so much..one thing confidence with your kit, don't cut drills! And if there's something wrong with no catching! Learn the lake, weather, bait n all that..
I'm honest I didn't know him! But one of other bloke said there was a match angler down here (can't remeber who he fished for Diawa or something!) n describes him!! True story honest!
Anyways the bacon n egg Mcmuffin was ok but the coffee was rancid as usual!!

Tbh I'm not in a rush to try n get big fish! Just float n hook length for small fish!
Then when I'm comfortable..and happy with the pole etc. Move onto larger fish!
Also don't want to fork out thousand if for some reason pole fishing isn't my bag!
Hence all my carp rods, reels and tackle is stored away.
One thing though I'm enjoying myself again..too many years consitrating on illness etc... life for enjoyment!!
Catch ya later
Bri

This might help you… Our special "Get Back into Angling" sessions are for anyone who wants to start fishing again. There is something for everyone in the North East at *Get Fishing - Want to find fishing events or venues? Get Fishing from the Angling Trust has all the angling information you and your family need.
FREE FISHING EVENTS: North East Want to get into fishing, come back to angling after a break or find out about free fishing events in the North East? Get Out There – Get Fishing has free fishing and accessible venues for you and the family to get fishing across the region... October 1
Link…Angling Trust "Fishing Info"

manxnorton

Reaction score
This might help you… Our special "Get Back into Angling" sessions are for anyone who wants to start fishing again. There is something for everyone in the North East at *Get Fishing - Want to find fishing events or venues? Get Fishing from the Angling Trust has all the angling information you and your family need.
FREE FISHING EVENTS: North East Want to get into fishing, come back to angling after a break or find out about free fishing events in the North East? Get Out There – Get Fishing has free fishing and accessible venues for you and the family to get fishing across the region... October 1
Link…Angling Trust "Fishing Info"

Mate! What a stonker!
Thanks so much for this info!
Read it and again!
This defo has give me motivation to try again...this time to see if I can use a rod n reel! Why not!
Will keep you posted!
Buying a licence today or the morra.
Going to send the link to my pal, that got me into fishing again.
Last as I was serving the net a found a hopfuly a good course and carp venue up here.
4 lakes to use, so going for a recce and hope that I can some local knowledge and the questions that I have forgot.
Going to wait till the rains stops, so I can get into the garden hold the rod and reel to gauge everything! Obvousy not big nuff to practice casting lol but just have adapt my hold and think of the reel as I was left handed (my duff hand)
Like there's instruction for disibilty so I'm really chuffed...as well as bait etc is free.
Bet after that there no stopping me..no such thing as I can't do it!
I'll send some pics of the lakes and about the my experiences
OMG! A novel coming you'll say! :)
Anyways have to get cracking!!
Thx again really apreciate your help.
Bri

manxnorton

Reaction score
what a morning.
beautiful day.
just visited Feltonfence fisheries.
met the owner, a great chat.
then recced my access etc.
but the great one wasi sat away from a bloke using a pole, and said "Hope you don't mind me watching for a bit?"
an hour later, sitting on his seat and then pole in hand!!!
what a lovely bloke....tought me more in an hour that I could get online in a week..
buzzing is all I can say...mind made up!
thinking 4m whip for starter!! don't know.
a spray bar n attachments would advantages for my sitting etc.
vPSe9FY.jpg

:thumbs:
BRIAN

manxnorton

Reaction score
14/8/17
Thinking I done something today to see if my confidence is up with holding and operating a rod n reel...don't you think?
Got blinkered with all this new idea of pole etc.
But shyed away with the rod n reel...
I'll never know having them just sitting in the spare bedroom!
The only reel I have left is an old Shimano baitrunner aero GTE 8000B with only one spool (I'll look at the mo what line is on)
Both Abu Garcia rods.
Max titan and Enticer 12ft & 11ft.
Looking at prices of spare spoils this morning, and need some advice if I get 2 more spools I'd love one with line for small fish, one smaller carp and my other fitted already with larger main line for big carp.
Any suggesting?
Was thinking getting a new set up all together for small fish rod and reel..like a wrangler rod and suitable reel.
But thinking use what I've got for now, and decide in the future.
Money is the key! If I'm going to upgrade my kit! And buy all the pole kit etc. I want to make sure 100% sure it's the way to go.
Like I said early posts I've still got my terminal tackle boxes, only my own made hook lengths were inspected but thrown out! New slate, and if my duff hand can manage making my own rigs it gives me something to do!
Saving money with the hookenth line, swivels and the parts to make them.
Or just buy ready made rigs!
Plenty of weights etc.
All going on today lol
I've ordered a pole kit! I hope it arrives this week! Took a week already and ther correspondence is shocking even ringing them! No answer twice! I'll look at the kit again.
Hope my woffle makes sence?
Bri

---------- Post added at 02:38 ---------- Previous post was at 01:16 ----------

Don't know I didn't try this before!!!
Assembling the rod and reel want difficult! I could grip the parts just with my duff hand! The grip isn't strong and lack of feeling on my fingers means If I'm looking on what's going on with a fish I could lose the grip! If you know what I mean?
The handle will need a fatter grip section (foam or something!)
The motion isn't fast but I don't think I'll ever reel in fast! And due to my muscles the motions is robotic and slow!! I'll play with it on lake side.
At least guys I don't need an adaption like a power reel abaption etc or have put the handle on the right hand side.
It this meant, I'd have get one of the hand Active Hands General Purpose Gripping Aid

https://bdaa.co.uk/equipment/Glove

And successfully reel in a fish!!
The only thing is the grip has to velco on to aid grip!
So if the rod is on a rod stand or with bite alarms the time I get my duff hand onto the rod...tighting the strap! Then stike etc I'll lose so much time or lose the fish into the margins or under cover!
It can be done! Take practice sure I'll get there!
The other thing I have sort out is the use of the landing net!! Duff hand again!! Ok with small fish but with the grip so weak might spoil it!! Specially with larger fish! Hard nuff with a strong grip if I revert to the left hand strapped in means a strike, play the fish to when's it ready to land...I could use the good hand on the net!
After practice and some alterations with it all me ok I think!
Or I just hold the rod, strapped in till a Fish on!!
Plenty of working out to be done..
Peg setup will me practiced...as I'm not sturdy on my feet...safety with the water paramount! Looking at life jacket etc..
I can't have a pal all the time to help! Or have anybody near...so slow is my key..nor rushing, take my time relax..and above all enjoy it..
Btw can't see what size of line is on! So I'll replace the line...once I get sugestions on the post earlier! Thinking back with the size on the lake I'll go first
Maybe 5lb or over main line...due the weight of my method I'll use...feeder ledger etc...but I'm no guru lol
Just thinking if I get 2 more spools I could like this:
Spool 1- 3-5lb
Spool 2- 5-8lb
Spool 3- 10lb +
What you think??
Anyways off playing after my gym exercises (7 days a week)
It's a case of if I don't use it (arm or leg) I'll lose it!
Thx for viewing
Bri

manxnorton

Reaction score
well its been weeks!
I've really slowly got used to the lake I fish on.
the owner is sound as.
the bailiff has took me under his wing so to speak.
so for the few time I was practicing setting up and packing up...still no fishing:eek:
moved onto the small pole...but tbh them small ready made float rigs are too hard for me, too light and even no wind I got tangled...:confused: one hand sorting them was a pain..
anyways....moved onto a light feeder rod 10ft.
and hoping today get my reel.
its a Drennan FD4000.
the bailiff is going to help with loading the line..:thumbs:
all in all......slowly does it....and practice, practice then some more.
TBC
Bri

thecrow

Reaction score
Glad to hear that things are slowly coming together Bri, that looks a nice water to be fishing :) please do keep us updated with your progress.

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi Brian Just read through all the posts on this thread. Quite inspiring you know, to read the story so far. Glad you bumped into a couple of helpful people - as you say, you can pick up loads in a few minutes, and fishing techniques are much easier to learn from a demonstration than from an article or video. Hope it continues to go well for you.

All the best, Kev