What next?

andymac1981

Reaction score
To introduce myself 1st, I know next to nothing about fishing and what I have learned so far has all came from research on the internet. What I have learned so far has landed me some roach and I have been happy enough as a beginner, none of them were specimens but put a smile on my face regardless.

I have mainly been float fishing with a Shakespear Firebird rod. So my question is what next? Should I try for a different species, bigger roach? Try for a predator?

What is anyones advice for someone starting out what should I take on as my next challenge to learn more about the sport?

thecrow

Reaction score
The worlds your oyster when it comes to what to fish for, I would just offer a word of caution regarding predators more for the safety of the fish than anything, if possible go with someone experienced with predators.

Welcome to FM by the way :)

andymac1981

Reaction score
The worlds your oyster when it comes to what to fish for, I would just offer a word of caution regarding predators more for the safety of the fish than anything, if possible go with someone experienced with predators.

Welcome to FM by the way :)

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, I have got chatting to someone from the local community and they have offered to go out with me at some stage but we can't seem to find a suitable date between us. Hopefully we can get out together soon and I can glean some tips.

I have only really been using maggots and landing quite small roach every time. If there was bigger roach in there would it be a case of bigger bait or changing the depth.

Other fish in this local spot are perch, pike and rudd.

flightliner

Reaction score
Welcome to fm, enjoy the site.
regarding "what next" why not stay with the roach for a little longer, they are one species that respond to all methods and approaches, float, ledger , baits, feeding techniques etx, all good stuff that will definately reinforce what you have learnt already. It will be time well spent that can be carried forward to any other species at a later date.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, and Welcome to FishingMagic . . . .

I would echo the Flightliner's comments and say stick to the roach as hey can be taken on most methods, and a big roach is one of the best sights in fishing, in my view.

Generally speaking, there is no laid out fishing path as it is more a case of following that which entices you the most, and as your experiences develop then see where it takes you.

andymac1981

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice! I'm in no rush tbh so quite happy to stick to Roach for now and keep learning as I go. The local water I am fishing is very quiet and not fished much so I really am blessed with this, it also means no one really sees my mess ups as I get things tangle and catch on the bank when casting etc.

Last edited: