Grinding Feeling

durham-newbie

Reaction score
When fishing at the weekend, I experienced a sort of grinding feeling. It didn't feel like it was coming from the reel, but further up towards the tip of the rod. I was fishing a 1.5oz quiver tip with a 30g feeder, and the feeling was only when the feeder was hanging in the air and being reeled in. Reeling in while the feeder was in the water was smooth.

Is this because I've used too big a feeder weight on the quiver I selected?

thecrow

Reaction score
Are you using mono or braid? braid makes a different sound when being reeled through rings, other than that check all rings for cracks and your line for chaffing.

Have you tried a lighter feeder to see if it disappears when using a lighter one?

durham-newbie

Reaction score
It's mono, although I don't know exactly what size. I'm going to be replacing the line soon. The rod rings are all in mint condition. I didn't try a lighter feeder, but I will be setting the rod up in the garage when I get a second to see if I can reproduce it and under what conditions.

john step

Reaction score
Thanks, I hope so. It's a second hand reel and I used the line on it that it came with, so no idea how old it is. Gonna get some new line on and see how it feels then.

Not a good idea to use old line you have no knowledge of how its been abused especially when you can buy bulk spools cheaply.
(Not necessarily a plug for "S" line chaps)