Child's first time fishing

freebird7

Reaction score
My Goddaughter has shown an interest in trying fishing. So her mum has asked me to take her when it warms up a bit.

Where do I start with an 8 year old? I was thinking of a local commercial lake which has a family lake. Which is shallow and packed with roach tench and carp up to about 5lbs. It's the type of place where it' almost more difficult not to catch fish.

My real problem is in terms of gear. If I buy a cheap child's rod. I'm worried that a 5lb carp might break it. My usual float rods are cumbersome in terms of length.
Can anyone recommend a short manageable rod which will allow for some give but be durable enough for the task (bonus points if it comes in pink)
Also any general advice or tips welcome.

Cheers,

chrissh

Reaction score
club korum do a pink rod & reel kit

Float Pack Starter Kit - Club Korum

graphic_b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

steviebearuk

Reaction score
I was once fishing on a local commercial when next to me was a man fishing with his young daughter. She was using a rod a reel but every 5mins she got tangled a pretty soon he was well fed up. In my bag I had a little 3 meter whip which I had put elastic through it. Gave the girl that with a pole rig, plumbed it up for her and that was the it. She was catching small roach and perch all day. She was so happy. I think it only cost me about 6 or 7 pounds.
When they was leaving she came to give it me back I just told her to keep it.
Her smile was worth it.
So maybe that would be a better way to go.???
Steve

freebird7

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

The pole is a good idea. She's pretty clumsy so so was expecting to spend alot of time untangling. I'm just not a fan of poles myself. Still might be an ideal first start.

Last edited:

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
When I first took mine (they were a lot younger mind, probably 3 or 4 the first time we tried) I just used a 3m whip and maggots. Just fish for bites. A three ounce roach is a wondrous thing to a youngster, 5lb carp can wait.

(Have a think about your own fishing, how long was it before you were catching your first bigger fish? Probably not the first time you went. If they get it all too soon, they won't want to go again).

Also, the only other bit of advice I'd have would be to totally focus on them, rather than trying to fish yourself. Make sure they're catching and enjoying themselves and you might have a new angler on your hands. Loads of time subsequently to worry about the bigger stuff!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My advice is always to make sure you take them to a venue where the yare guaranteed to catch . . . . . nothing will turn a little one off of fishing quicker than the boredom of not catching .

A rod and reel might prove to be cumbersome for them to cast etc., so I always recommend a 3 to 4m whip, either elasticated or not and a simple pole rig.
They are relatively inexpensive so if she doesn't take to it then you can always use it yourself.

When teaching my two boys I would only fish with them for about 60 to 90 minutes at a time and intersperse that with a few "natural" things like tree identification, wild flower hunting or even just learning the names of the birds and water fowl.

In many ways we were lucky ad we lived in southern Norway at the time so our country pursuits included things like learning to make a cooking fire and making a meal outdoors; I guess the typical commercial might take exception to that, although my local syndicate do allow open fires . . . . . . .

Finally the words of wisdom from dear old Jack Hargreaves still ring true, well for me at least, "before a man catches a big fish let him catch some small ones and learn the trade"

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

The pole is a good idea. She's pretty clumsy so so was expecting to spend alot of time untangling. I'm just not a fan of poles myself. Still might be an ideal first start.

What part of Kent are you?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Junior Lakes | Hawkhurst Fish Farm

This is a nice place to take kids. Personally I would wait for the warmer months. The place I have put the link to rents out whips and has a very well stocked on site tackle shop, they also have small ponds set up for kids. I have taken my two granddaughters a few times now and they loved it. I make a point of not taking my own tackle so I can concentrate on them having a good time. We usually start the day off there and move on to finish the day at Hastings, which isn't too far away. They always want to stay fishing longer than we planned, so we must be doing something right.
39a527c4a9912a21a2480bcf179a4eee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

freebird7

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Hawkhurst looks great. I'm based in Sittingbourne so it's a bit of a drive but little one is an excellent traveller we've been al over the UK in the car for holidays so an hours drive won't be a problem.

I'd pretty much resigned myself to the fact I would be doing very little fishing of my own.

I'll resurrect this thread once we've been and let you k ow how it goes.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Somewhere a bit closer to home for you is Lavender Farm near Faversham just off the A299. Doesn't have quite the facilities of Hawkhurst but is a great venue for children.

I've often seen Dads with their children catching small Rudd on a whip, in the Summer months you'll not blank.

Closer still is The Willows angling centre in Teynham, (formerly Bax Farm), apart from a speci lake and a stream I think they still have a smaller pond stuffed with small fish.

Mickyclow

Reaction score
My Goddaughter has shown an interest in trying fishing. So her mum has asked me to take her when it warms up a bit.

Where do I start with an 8 year old? I was thinking of a local commercial lake which has a family lake. Which is shallow and packed with roach tench and carp up to about 5lbs. It's the type of place where it' almost more difficult not to catch fish.

My real problem is in terms of gear. If I buy a cheap child's rod. I'm worried that a 5lb carp might break it. My usual float rods are cumbersome in terms of length.
Can anyone recommend a short manageable rod which will allow for some give but be durable enough for the task (bonus points if it comes in pink)

Cheers,
I took my youngest daughter for the first time about 3 months ago and spent the whole time untangling , baiting up , disgorging her fish and taking pictures . She caught 16 fish in 3 hours in a millpond on the Nene and totally loved it . She comes regularly with me now and ive bought her a little 7 ft spinning rod which was only £15 . Were going fishing for Pike on Sunday. Great fun
d63b6e5d6a20ffdb144598881e01db6d.jpg
c80f2ff5cfc2c8ee3855e510db2a9606.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Micky if you had lived nearer to me, I could have given you a couple of rods and reels and floats etc to save you buying some, A tip I will give you is go to a Cash Generator shop and see what they have, if they are anything like what they are near here, they do not have a clue on prices,
Greys Prodigy PB 12' barbell rods in at £30 chapmans price £160 shimano 10000 reels £20 and the big spool 6000 at same price. Or check local charity shops out.

baldylux

Reaction score

Cheers,

FB_IMG_1519763765287.jpg

Thats just a standard cheap kids rod from a tackle shop mate. Just rip the line off the reel and put something like 4lb line on. Otherwise its constant tangles and drama

baldylux

Reaction score
I started my daughter off with a few top sections of the pole in the margins. But as she became more confident i bought her her own rod. (Which she went mad at me for catching that carp in case i broke her rod! Lol)
She loves catching tiddlers is what she says. So i take her to a place stuffed with lots of roach, rudd, gudgeon with some crucians, tench and other carp

carpinbob

Reaction score
I started my boy on a 3-4 metre whip no tangles at all thoroughly enjoyed himself even caught a few at a local day ticket fishery.