Deciding on style of fishing

baldylux

Reaction score
For pleasure angling, how do you decide on your style of fishing for the day? Spur of the moment? Fixed plan in mind? Or just fancy something different?

I ask as last year was the first full year of being back on the bank after many years away. I bought an unused load of kit off gumtree that gave me enough options.
However, i seem to have just used the maver black ice float rod, and the maver strong arm pole. I had grand ideas of trying feeder fishing with the black ice feeder rod, but its not been used at all. I think the last time i used a feeder rod was at Swanshurst park or Earlswood lakes about 25 years ago. So i'm keen to have another bash, but find it hard to make the plans into actions

sam vimes

Reaction score
In times past, I'd have picked whatever method that I thought would give me the best chances on the day. Latterly, I tend to want to float fish regardless. If the conditions are not particularly conducive to float fishing of some description, I'd sometimes rather stay at home than resort to methods I don't enjoy as much.

john step

Reaction score
If you like to use your float rod the most then its all about enjoyment after all.
If you find on occasion you need to fish at greater range then you could try the feeder for a trip or so.

Personally I like the float best but find a whole day strains my eyes. I often revert to a quiver tip or the dreaded bolt rig at some time during the day to give my eyes a rest.

nottskev

Reaction score
Usually for me, the style of fishing, the fish and the place are all related - I don't tend to think "I'll go fishing" or "I'll go to the river". It's more that I fancy pole fishing for roach on x pool, or stick float for grayling on y river, or feeder fishing for bream on Z lake, and so on. Deciding where and what is about juggling what I'd like to do with what's likely to work, given the weather, time of year etc.

If you're just getting back into fishing, it might be hard to assess the potential for feeder-fishing locally, but I'd suggest identifying a particular application and giving that a go. My last few feeder-fishing efforts have included: small window-feeder with maggots and pinkies on light gear for roach in a deep river marina; a cage feeder with liquidised bread for chub on a medium size river; a small pellet feeder with dampened micro-pellets and a hair-rigged hard hookbait for F1's and bream on a lake fished mainly for big carp; a small cage feeder with chopped worm and casters in peat and worm hookbait fished up against boats for perch on a slow river. If you can pick something specific to go for, you can put a bit of a plan together and see if you can get it to work.

baldylux

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply guys :cool:

It seems to me that most of my fishing has been 80% in the margins using a few sections of the pole. And if that switches off? Turn to the waggler further out to keep the action coming. This is a tactic that has always worked well for me.

But a lot of my fishing is using sweetcorn. And trying to be precise with the baiting using a catapult is an absolute joke with all the angles the grains fly off at :D

I may try the feeder option and see if more precise baiting provides better results. Or if the haphazard scattering of loose feed actually encourages more movement and feed in my swim

baldylux

Reaction score
In times past, I'd have picked whatever method that I thought would give me the best chances on the day. Latterly, I tend to want to float fish regardless. If the conditions are not particularly conducive to float fishing of some description, I'd sometimes rather stay at home than resort to methods I don't enjoy as much.
I think float fishing is where the majority of us began our love of angling. And if it brings results and you have confidence in it? Its a winner!!

Maybe i'll even try the lift method for tench? Or more than likely i'll have my usual waggler tactics tight to the lillies:cool:

sagalout

Reaction score
River, so far, I always use a feeder.

Lakes I tend to use one of three methods, margin pole, small feeder to some feature or pellet waggler and I alternate the three during the session to keep fish coming. On warm days in the summer I often do nothing but the margin with the pole and catch well from arrival (1st light) to when I've had enough, normally late morning.

I enjoy all three methods but the margin pole is probably my mostest favouritist.

john step

Reaction score
If you were missing from the bank for 25 years, PVA may have passed you by. You can get accurate baiting by using it. There are loads of videos on You Tube I am sure.
Stocking or bags.

sagalout

Reaction score
If you want to group tight with the catty it is best to use a uniform feed like pellets, sweetcorn is alright at short distances but each piece is a different size so they do tend to scatter.

baldylux

Reaction score
River, so far, I always use a feeder.

Lakes I tend to use one of three methods, margin pole, small feeder to some feature or pellet waggler and I alternate the three during the session to keep fish coming. On warm days in the summer I often do nothing but the margin with the pole and catch well from arrival (1st light) to when I've had enough, normally late morning.

I enjoy all three methods but the margin pole is probably my mostest favouritist.

A few sections of the pole in the margins is pretty much how i get the best results. So thats my usual plan when on a pool. Its also the way i got my daughter into fishing. But now she's advanced to her own pink rod and reel:cool:

baldylux

Reaction score
If you were missing from the bank for 25 years, PVA may have passed you by. You can get accurate baiting by using it. There are loads of videos on You Tube I am sure.
Stocking or bags.

General course fishing was the big 25 year gap mate. I was into carp fishing for a few years between 2006-2009. Had a syndicate just outside Tewkesbury and one over at Fairford. So i got some experience using PVA. Hadnt thought about using it away from carping tho mate. Thanks for the suggestion. Its another option for me

baldylux

Reaction score
If you want to group tight with the catty it is best to use a uniform feed like pellets, sweetcorn is alright at short distances but each piece is a different size so they do tend to scatter.
Sometimes i like to think it can encourage more activity and competition with the feeding. But if theres not many fish in my swim i suppose the bait being spread out just reduces my chances of a bite

rayner

Reaction score
It's all about fun/enjoyment.
Over the years I've done everything other than the speci thing. Lots of tackle I've bought and tried have been left in a corner and will stay there, I just don't enjoy some methods.
Methods that undeniably work but to me they are boring.
After almost 60yrs and trying everything I've reverted to how I fished in my younger years. For me it's silver fish all the way.
I sometimes whish I could get back to rivers but the feeling soon wares off when good numbers of fish are achieved. Keeping busy for me is everything, I've had my share of scratching for bites, those days are long gone for me with commercial fisheries.
Whatever you do make sure you enjoy it

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
One other option to think about might be using the feeder rod simultaneously with the float (pole or waggler), as a "sleeper" rod? Not sure what kind of venue(s) you're on, but maybe a scaled down specimen approach on the feeder rod, hair-rigged bait and maybe some form of bolt rig (method feeder or straight lead). The main thing here is to make sure the two rods don't get in the way of one another. So if you're fishing with the float directly in front of you, go off to the margin - one side or the other - with the feeder rod.

ben10

Reaction score
I tend to have everything with me so I can decide on the day, if it's particularly windy then the feeder or if the fish are up in the water then a float. Just pack some groundbait and knock it up on the bank if you decide to use the feeder that day. Normally if you make the ground bait up just before you tackle up it gives it enough time to soak in and dry out, can add a little more water and you're away. If you decide to float then just leave it in your bag for another day.

Philip

Reaction score
If you basically starting out (or re-starting out) then I think there is allot to be said for fishing with two different methods as Jim suggests. Pole in the margins as you like that method and perhaps a ledger rod to one side. I remember as kids we used to do this and if one of the bobbins started to rise on the ledger rods we would literally drop the float rods and run for that as we always expected bigger fish on the ledger rods back then.

baldylux

Reaction score
If you basically starting out (or re-starting out) then I think there is allot to be said for fishing with two different methods as Jim suggests. Pole in the margins as you like that method and perhaps a ledger rod to one side. I remember as kids we used to do this and if one of the bobbins started to rise on the ledger rods we would literally drop the float rods and run for that as we always expected bigger fish on the ledger rods back then.

I see the idea and benefits of this method. But unless the feeder rod was on an alarm or baitrunner reel? I wouldn't be able to focus properly on either method so might miss out. Its got me thinking tho mate :cool:

sagalout

Reaction score
I always used to fish two rods, but over the last 18 months I have come to the conclusion I fish better and enjoy it more with one rod at a time. Even the feeder has become more enjoyable as I watch the tip like watching a float.