putting new elastic in pole

Graham Nash

Reaction score
i Have not done any fishing for about 15 years and thinking of starting again, i am hoping to join a local club and do some pole fishing can anyone recommend what strength elastic to put in my two top two kits also would i have to renew the bushes in the end of the pole kits

thank you

Graham

chrissh

Reaction score
here's a guide to help you along...it would not hurt to renew the bushes for what they cost

Elastic strength No of pole sections Target venue and species

No 1 - No 3 Top-1 kit Canals. Gudgeon, bleak, small rudd, small perch, small skimmers, ruffe

No 4 - No 6 Top-2 kit Rivers, canals and lakes. Roach, rudd, perch, skimmers, small chub, carp and tench.

No 8 - No 12 Match top-3 or power top-2 kit River, canal or lake. Carp, tench, chub, bream.

No 14 - No 18 Match top-3 or power top-2 kit Lakes. Tench and carp in open water.

No 20-plus Power top-2 kit Lakes. Big carp or for margin fishing close to snags.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I wouldn't put 14-18 elastic through a match top 3, a match top 3 is normally rated to around 10/12 , you would have to really cut the number one section right back to put that grade through it, I would do away with your number one sections and elasticate the number 2 and 3 section, with a double number 4 on a winder bung, and a number 10 on a winder bung, the tension than can be set accordingly, I would pre stretch the elastic a couple of times before fitting it, this will prevent it from drooping out of the pole tip after a few fish have been caught, What make and model of pole is it ?