Bullet feeders - why use mesh when the depths are deeper than 4ft?

Arries87

Reaction score
Hi all

l will keep it short: Why are bullet feeders normally built with mesh cages when generally the depth is more than 4 feet? On the SA waters fishing at distance (70m) will almost always be in the vicinity of 12ft, I would assume that is the same for other conutries also? If so, why are most bullet/distance feeders made with mesh cages instead of solid cylinders like open ended feeders?

:confused::confused::confused:

spenbeck

Reaction score
You can turn your 'mesh' feeders in to 'solid' feeders by wrapping insulation tape around them… and then turn them back by removing it.

laguna

Reaction score
Mesh allows flowing water to enter and wash out the contents. Also a lot of anglers use groundbait with a few grubs mixed in, mesh allows them to escape.

Arries87

Reaction score
Thanx for all the replies gents! I do currently wrap my mesh cages with insulation tape.

Thank you or the links crissh! The total fishing page is a new one for me! From the articles also I see the use of mesh, but I still dont understand why they are manufactured with mesh when one is to fish at distance and most likely depth? A friend of mine hypothesized that it is because the bullet hits bottom weight side down and then gets lodged in the bottom that way, the mesh allows the particles to fall out - but I think when tightening up, the cage will be pivoted to horizontal (obviously not in extremely silty bottoms)

I build my own bullet feeders with a cage like an open ended feeder, in my mind there are several advantages:
1) Less drag when fishing a 60g feeder at 95m the drag of the mesh reeling in kills me (even when taped up), when the cage is smooth the drag is basically eliminated
2) The cage lifts off the bottom due to the water pushing through the cylinder, it makes the cage pick up off the bottm, not directly to surface, but enough to avoid getting snagged
3) Aerodynamics this is basically the same as the drag point, but the smoother outside of the cage allows it to "cut" through the air better, also it is less prone to be pushed by the wind (less than a loaded mesh cage anyway)

B

binka

Thanx for all the replies gents! I do currently wrap my mesh cages with insulation tape.

Thank you or the links crissh! The total fishing page is a new one for me! From the articles also I see the use of mesh, but I still dont understand why they are manufactured with mesh when one is to fish at distance and most likely depth? A friend of mine hypothesized that it is because the bullet hits bottom weight side down and then gets lodged in the bottom that way, the mesh allows the particles to fall out - but I think when tightening up, the cage will be pivoted to horizontal (obviously not in extremely silty bottoms)

I build my own bullet feeders with a cage like an open ended feeder, in my mind there are several advantages:
1) Less drag when fishing a 60g feeder at 95m the drag of the mesh reeling in kills me (even when taped up), when the cage is smooth the drag is basically eliminated
2) The cage lifts off the bottom due to the water pushing through the cylinder, it makes the cage pick up off the bottm, not directly to surface, but enough to avoid getting snagged
3) Aerodynamics this is basically the same as the drag point, but the smoother outside of the cage allows it to "cut" through the air better, also it is less prone to be pushed by the wind (less than a loaded mesh cage anyway)

What size of fish are you targeting Arries, if it's anything larger than small 'silvers', and given your comments above, I would opt for a large method feeder that will give you the range and address your drag and aerodynamic concerns as well as protect your hookbait on a long cast...

ESP Carp Mega Method Feeder & Mould | eBay

You can stiffen whatever mix you are using to suit the distance and depths you are fishing.