Dog kibble - NOT Vitalin

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know Vitalin has been done to death but I was just wondering about standard dog kibble. At the end of the month I always have a sandwich bag or two full of what's left before the dogs start a new bag.
I wondered about powdering it in the food processor and then adding it to liquidised bread to make a meaty, jazzed up sort of groundbait.

I also wondered if anyone had tried banding a kibble to a hook, especially with the method feeder as it will swell and rise slightly above the feeder thus presenting itself nicely for the fish?

Anyway, just a thought.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
What is kibble, anyway?
It's what is left from processing human grade food grains etc.. It used to be thrown away until a bright spark came up with the idea of making dog food out of it - many feel that it is not right to feed dogs on it, but since it's covered in things to make it appetising to dogs...

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The stuff I have to buy my dogs because one of the has an allergy it would be cheaper to feed them steak if she wasn't allergic to beef!

I'll definitely give it a try. The latest bag will be finished early because even though it was expensive and ticked all the right boxes allergen wise it's not suited to her and it costs about £4 a kilo :eek:mg:so there'll be a bit more to add to the pile ready for blitzing.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
The stuff I have to buy my dogs because one of the has an allergy it would be cheaper to feed them steak if she wasn't allergic to beef!
This is how I know a bit about kibble, we had two dogs who were allergic to just about everything, couldn't eat grains etc.. (kibble), no meat except salmon (no white fish). Potato and most vegetables were o.k. but if they ate something they shouldn't they got colitis; they were rather fond of eating fox, horse, sheep and cow dung so we also had to watch where we took them.

We bought salmon and potato biscuit for them, and they [the makers] recently (18 months ago) changed the recipe to include grain (i.e. to make it cheaper.) I was fuming because the stuff was originally touted as being grain free etc.. and of course you get used to the packaging / brand and stop looking. Unless you looked very closely you wouldn't know it had grains in.

The last dog died around a year ago (I'm sure the food had something to do with it, how do you prove it though? She was 14 though. We did feed them with fresh veg, occasional bits of salmon and fruit (especially bananas) on top of the biscuit)

So do keep an eye on what you are buying.

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So do keep an eye on what you are buying.
I always do Ian, and it's not always the most expensive hypo allergenic brands that make her itch the least. It's really frustrating though because our other dog would and can eat anything!

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interestingly I did an experiment this morning. I got some of the left over dog food and blitzed it in a food processor ( an old one I bought, not the wife's :)).

It made a hell of a noise but after a while it became not as liquidised bread but very fine with occasional lumps. Now I know that kibble on their own float, so I dumped some of this powder in a glass of water and gave it a poke to break surface tension. 99% of it sank immediately and settled on the bottom! It left a fine suspension in the water and a film on the top, which suggests to me it will make a great augmentation to liquidised bread as a feed!

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
Interestingly I did an experiment this morning. I got some of the left over dog food and blitzed it in a food processor ( an old one I bought, not the wife's :)).

It made a hell of a noise but after a while it became not as liquidised bread but very fine with occasional lumps. Now I know that kibble on their own float, so I dumped some of this powder in a glass of water and gave it a poke to break surface tension. 99% of it sank immediately and settled on the bottom! It left a fine suspension in the water and a film on the top, which suggests to me it will make a great augmentation to liquidised bread as a feed!

I make paste and boilies out of cat biscuit and paste using tinned cat food and the fish seem to like it. During the early trials of feeding dogs with kibble, they had to add gravy and such like because the dogs wouldn't freely eat it, this is why they coat their food with things to make it attractive to dogs and cats and add nutrients missing in the kibble, both smell and taste had to work otherwise they wouldn't go back for more.

The dog we have at the moment won't eat just biscuit unless she's really hungry, but we're able to feed her anything so she gets the scraps (well a bit more than that) like dogs used to be fed.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Gravy, eh? What attracts one omnivore ought to pull others - think Chum mixers - and all manner of ideas are beginning to swirl around my head.
I bet Fishplate42 is planning a shopping trip!
Better check my stock of Aromat, turmeric and black pepper, too.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I draw the line at messing with tinned foods!

It's good stuff. maggots, worms, boilies, groundbait all have their ingredients found in tinned animal food; well in some groundbaits and boilies :wh

But you're not alone, a whole new world awaits...

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
well I tried the ground up dog food, mixed with liquidised bread and it was foul! stunk rotten!

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To be honest I think I made it a bit too wet, it certainly clung together well such that I was bringing a method feeder back still half full. Other than that difficult to tell as the fish had all gone away for the day.

I could use it as a substitute on it's own for molehill soil though to carry some chopped worm out. Now there's a thought because with it being a "meaty" flavour the fish might like it.

Last edited: