New landing net and pole

sheffields12

Reaction score
Hey guys,

As a beginner a couple of years ago, my tackle is coming along nicely in terms of rods, reels etc.
Bought myself a decent chair back end of last year too :wh

Next step, is a decent landing net to replace the cheap, flimsy one I bought (A very, very cheap one!)

I don't want to spend too much, as I'm only a casual angler, odd fishery and the odd river.

Can anyone recommend something for me, I will need net and handle/pole.
Ideally around £20-30...

Redeemed

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've just come back to fishing after 35 years out and whilst I have yet to cast a line in anger due to variuos circumstances I have bought a bit of kit.

I got a 2m extending pole, a Maver, from Angling direct for £16. I also got a reasonable sized net for £9 from the same place.

Keep also an eye out on Fishing Republic, in their last mega sale I got my son a 2m extender, nicer than mine, for £1.05!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I would have thought a 4 metre landing net handle would be more suitable for a river ?
as for nets go for one with a wider mesh that will allow the flow to pass through easier,
it will still be ok to use on a commercial, Is your £20 - £30 for both items combined ?

sheffields12

Reaction score
Ideally, yes.

I don't match fish on commercials, just pleasure fish using Float and Feeder.

Telescopic would be ideal, for carrying, transport etc. I don't want to spend too much, but is £20-£30 isn't enough for something decent (That will last me at least a couple of years!) then let me know, I'll have to up my budget.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I would say around £40 for a usable 4 metre handle, PI do one called competition pro net, ideal for both natural venues.
and rivers, a good net from £10 upwards, You say telescopic for transporting, a take apart one would be a
similar length when closed, or do you mean carrying it along the bank at full length with net on the end ?
The PI one is carbon take apart, I am not sure if there are 4 metre tele carbon ones. another option is the Drennan Twist and Lock handle, but I am not sure on the price of those, Maver did one called the "Match This" at 4 metre, I have one as a back up handle it is pretty good for the price, or you could go overboard on price and get a Daiwa or Garbolino one at £100+

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I have various landing nets and the biggest and just as good as the more expensive others is a Dinesmore carp net which cost about 10£. Have a look on Amazon!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The mesh is the same, the front on the frame on mine it upturned or downturned depending on which
way you have it. I would say mine is 26", they are good nets, I also have a Maver oval, a Maver D shape and a Daiwa oval, I place them across my legs to unhook a fish, I find that is easier than putting the net down unless the size of the fish makes it impractical to do that. I also take with me small triangular net for silvers if in a match, again it is easier to get a fish out of that than fiddling around getting it from a large net.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Mikench: Do they collapse down to something smaller for transporting, or must it be carried 'as is' ?

Unusual shape....

sheffields12

Reaction score
Great help and advice as always guys, I like the look of that net.

Now just to decide on a handle!

mikench

Reaction score
No they are carried as is! I just sling it in the boot without difficulty. It is robust although my catching prowess is unlikely to wear out a decent net':wh

Last edited:

Another Dave

Reaction score
I think Dinsmores do do one that collapses but it's a bit smaller, was looking at it for myself.

mikench

Reaction score
The guru dual 550 net is very good! I managed , Just and unintentionally, to get a 24 lb common in it! I then bought a bigger net! The Korum collapsible spoon nets are also good for those humongous barbel!!!:wh

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score