Hooks to nylon

sam vimes

Reaction score
There was a time iirc when size 18s were tied to 1.5lb line are they no longer available because I cant find any.

These are about as light as I see now. As far as I'm concerned, there are two factors at play. The first is simple supply and demand. Not many folks want such light hooks to nylon. That became painfully obvious with the rise in popularity of commercial pools. It has also had an effect on the patterns and gauges of hooks on offer. The second is down to improvements in line. Line of 20+ years ago had a relatively high diameter for its breaking strain. modern 2lb line will generally be of lower diameter than old 1.5lb line. There's not quite the need to go as light any more.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
have you tried the silver fish maggot hooks to nylon, ? I am sure they do low bs line to a corresponding hook.
and if anyone is thinking of tying some Guru QM1 hooks to nylon, have some plasters ready, They are sharp and the offset always seems to catch a finger,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I didn't check the link out Chris, I am tying my own at the moment, Tubertini 808 to 0.14
I did have thought of having a look at one of those Gizmo hook tyers, but the price is rather offputting

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Gizmo will no longer be selling direct, through selected retailers soon, I guess that will ramp the cost up even further.

laguna

Reaction score
These are about as light as I see now. As far as I'm concerned, there are two factors at play. The first is simple supply and demand. Not many folks want such light hooks to nylon. That became painfully obvious with the rise in popularity of commercial pools. It has also had an effect on the patterns and gauges of hooks on offer. The second is down to improvements in line. Line of 20+ years ago had a relatively high diameter for its breaking strain. modern 2lb line will generally be of lower diameter than old 1.5lb line. There's not quite the need to go as light any more.
I remember once getting a rollicking off big Dave at Alderfen fishing for roach on one of his carp waters. The minimum line strength according to 7ft tall Dave's rules was 6lb! If he didn't want people fishing for roach he shouldn't have put them in there. Anyway I doubt we'll be going back any time soon as its now a syndicate water costing £350 per year... along with the obligatory work party detail!
I didn't check the link out Chris, I am tying my own at the moment, Tubertini 808 to 0.14
I did have thought of having a look at one of those Gizmo hook tyers, but the price is rather offputting
808 series are brilliant but not without my hook tier, I can't see and hold the damn things! :p

wetthrough

Reaction score
Use a small link swivel with a sleeve on it, put hooklength loop over bend in link swivel, cover with sleeve and
away you go, you can change hooklengths in seconds should the need arise,

Thanks Mark but it's the loop knot as much as anything that doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. It's just a confidence thing.

laguna

Reaction score
Use a small link swivel with a sleeve on it, put hooklength loop over bend in link swivel, cover with sleeve and
away you go, you can change hooklengths in seconds should the need arise,

Preferred way mate, and as you say; so damn easy to change and undo as required.

wetthrough

Reaction score
A double over-handed knot formed loop (aka the surgeons knot) is the warmest of all fuzzies wetthrough! :)

I can be a bit anal about knots and line and wondered how I'd got this aversion to loop knots. I have a jig for testing line which is quite accurate
and consistent although not lab standard.

Tied some links with a surgeons loop on one end and a swivel on the other using Shimano Silk Shock in 3lb and tested to breaking point.
Without getting too accurate it broke at the swivel about 70% of the time so it would seem you're right and my aversion was unfounded. But
(there's always a but) I didn't conjur this aversion up from nowhere and at the time I was using fluorocarbon hooklengths. With Drennan
Supplex Fluorocarbon in 4.4lb it always breaks at the surgeons loop knot. From the tests I did the link is round about 16% weaker than my
standard fluorocarbon 4.4lb hook to swivel link (4 turn half blood both ends) where it would invariably break at the swivel. A 3 turn loop tyer
tied knot is considerably better for fluorocarbon, it would always break at the swivel and is on a par with the swivel and two half bloods to hook.

This might not apply to all fluorocarbons or all breaking strains for that matter but for Drennan Supplex FC in 4.4lb the 3 turn loop tyer tied
knot is superior. For Shimano Silk Shock in 3lb the surgeons loop wins. I didn't compare loop tyer tied knots with the Silk Shock.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Preferred way mate, and as you say; so damn easy to change and undo as required.

Yes, is just another version of the way you can change hooklengths when feeder fishing,
I suppose to make a lighter set up you could use a micro stonfo connector suitable for a number 3 elastic,
same principle as link swivel but with no noticeable weight.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Thanks Mark but it's the loop knot as much as anything that doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. It's just a confidence thing.

I use a loop knot when putting pole rigs on a stonfo connector and had double figure carp on them with no breakages,
I use both stonfo connectors and dacron connectors, the only one I wont do/use is a crows foot connection.