Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hooks to nylon

Default Re: Hooks to nylon

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    There was a time iirc when size 18s were tied to 1.5lb line are they no longer available because I cant find any.
    These are about as light as I see now. As far as I'm concerned, there are two factors at play. The first is simple supply and demand. Not many folks want such light hooks to nylon. That became painfully obvious with the rise in popularity of commercial pools. It has also had an effect on the patterns and gauges of hooks on offer. The second is down to improvements in line. Line of 20+ years ago had a relatively high diameter for its breaking strain. modern 2lb line will generally be of lower diameter than old 1.5lb line. There's not quite the need to go as light any more.

have you tried the silver fish maggot hooks to nylon, ? I am sure they do low bs line to a corresponding hook.
    and if anyone is thinking of tying some Guru QM1 hooks to nylon, have some plasters ready, They are sharp and the offset always seems to catch a finger,

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    have you tried the silver fish maggot hooks to nylon, ?
    Size for size, Silverfish Maggot are tied to exactly the same rated line as the Carbon Match that I linked to.

I didn't check the link out Chris, I am tying my own at the moment, Tubertini 808 to 0.14
    I did have thought of having a look at one of those Gizmo hook tyers, but the price is rather offputting

Gizmo will no longer be selling direct, through selected retailers soon, I guess that will ramp the cost up even further.

I read about that, it looks as if my matchman hook tyer will be seeing more service,

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    These are about as light as I see now. As far as I'm concerned, there are two factors at play. The first is simple supply and demand. Not many folks want such light hooks to nylon. That became painfully obvious with the rise in popularity of commercial pools. It has also had an effect on the patterns and gauges of hooks on offer. The second is down to improvements in line. Line of 20+ years ago had a relatively high diameter for its breaking strain. modern 2lb line will generally be of lower diameter than old 1.5lb line. There's not quite the need to go as light any more.
    I remember once getting a rollicking off big Dave at Alderfen fishing for roach on one of his carp waters. The minimum line strength according to 7ft tall Dave's rules was 6lb! If he didn't want people fishing for roach he shouldn't have put them in there. Anyway I doubt we'll be going back any time soon as its now a syndicate water costing £350 per year... along with the obligatory work party detail!
    I didn't check the link out Chris, I am tying my own at the moment, Tubertini 808 to 0.14
    I did have thought of having a look at one of those Gizmo hook tyers, but the price is rather offputting
    808 series are brilliant but not without my hook tier, I can't see and hold the damn things!

Use a small link swivel with a sleeve on it, put hooklength loop over bend in link swivel, cover with sleeve and
    away you go, you can change hooklengths in seconds should the need arise,
    Thanks Mark but it's the loop knot as much as anything that doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. It's just a confidence thing.

A double over-handed knot formed loop (aka the surgeons knot) is the warmest of all fuzzies wetthrough!

Use a small link swivel with a sleeve on it, put hooklength loop over bend in link swivel, cover with sleeve and
    away you go, you can change hooklengths in seconds should the need arise,
    Preferred way mate, and as you say; so damn easy to change and undo as required.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123