Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hooks to nylon

Default Re: Hooks to nylon

Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    A double over-handed knot formed loop (aka the surgeons knot) is the warmest of all fuzzies wetthrough!
    I can be a bit anal about knots and line and wondered how I'd got this aversion to loop knots. I have a jig for testing line which is quite accurate
    and consistent although not lab standard.

Tied some links with a surgeons loop on one end and a swivel on the other using Shimano Silk Shock in 3lb and tested to breaking point.
    Without getting too accurate it broke at the swivel about 70% of the time so it would seem you're right and my aversion was unfounded. But
    (there's always a but) I didn't conjur this aversion up from nowhere and at the time I was using fluorocarbon hooklengths. With Drennan
    Supplex Fluorocarbon in 4.4lb it always breaks at the surgeons loop knot. From the tests I did the link is round about 16% weaker than my
    standard fluorocarbon 4.4lb hook to swivel link (4 turn half blood both ends) where it would invariably break at the swivel. A 3 turn loop tyer
    tied knot is considerably better for fluorocarbon, it would always break at the swivel and is on a par with the swivel and two half bloods to hook.

This might not apply to all fluorocarbons or all breaking strains for that matter but for Drennan Supplex FC in 4.4lb the 3 turn loop tyer tied
    knot is superior. For Shimano Silk Shock in 3lb the surgeons loop wins. I didn't compare loop tyer tied knots with the Silk Shock.

Used first time today and used a swivel to attach to mainline and i’m Happy

Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    Preferred way mate, and as you say; so damn easy to change and undo as required.
    Yes, is just another version of the way you can change hooklengths when feeder fishing,
    I suppose to make a lighter set up you could use a micro stonfo connector suitable for a number 3 elastic,
    same principle as link swivel but with no noticeable weight.

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    Thanks Mark but it's the loop knot as much as anything that doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. It's just a confidence thing.
    I use a loop knot when putting pole rigs on a stonfo connector and had double figure carp on them with no breakages,
    I use both stonfo connectors and dacron connectors, the only one I wont do/use is a crows foot connection.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234