Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Help with how to tackle a weir

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    I’ll let you all know how I get on, I appreciate all the help and ideas everyone’s contributed.
    It’s a lovely little spot on the Soar with a narrow boat turn/yard about 200 yards further down.
    I took a video of it which gives a better idea but can’t upload it. I’m going to have another look in a while I think
    Have you tried vimeo, i think that's what people use. I would love to see the footage.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Dave View Post
    Have you tried vimeo, i think that's what people use. I would love to see the footage.
    Try this link it’s only about 15 seconds long but you’ll get the idea

Another photo from the opposite bank taken from under the willow tree you can see in the first photo

That's one harcore weir, is there anywhere the fish can pass, or do they have to wait for the winter floods for that luxury? Seriously though that does look tempting, i bet there's some nice perch in there too.

There’s a branch in the river there, left arm is that weir, middle arm there’s a lock, a final third arm is for mooring a few house boats. So fish would have to use the lock to bypass the weir.
    There is definitely fish in there we could see plenty of small minnows and some others about 4” in the shallows. I really must get some Polaroid’s !

Polaroids

AnglingDirect if you have £35 to invest.

Thumbs up Re: Help with how to tackle a weir

I would just keep it simple with lots of maggots and a stick float at first. Just be sure to plumb it (you could do that today if you want, you might get some funny looks though). Use your watercraft, find a good spot and really focus on that given spot for a while. If you continuously feed one spot the fish will be drawn to you eventually.. not sure how deep it is but probably worth investing in a bait dropper. Im really excited for you, river fishing is so much fun! Maybe try some live baiting or lure fishing for pike if you feel up for it? That little spot screams pike to me or at the very least some obliging perch! Good luck!!
    Last edited by O.C.F.Disorder; 14-06-2018 at 23:31.

Well I went today, started off lure fishing at the canal basin, no luck. Swapped to a miss match of lure rod/braid and porcupine quill and hook to nylon. Eventually decided to walk up and try the weir.
    Had a cracker of a morning all sorts of little fish upto 1/2lb roach and perch. My son and I had around 30 fish in an hour. All on single white magggot in no more than 2 foot of water.
    I’ll definitely revisit next time there’s some nice fish lurking I’m sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12