How should we play out plastic in fishing?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Self ban ourselves from using mono, plastic floats, carbon rods (well, maybe not plastic but harmfully indestructible, could we all have to go back to split cane! what fun) or just be hypocrites?
Or wait for a ban imposed on these products?

The reason I ask because I have just been given a set of 15 floats, all plastic.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
If you go somewhere like the lower Thames and look where the tide line is you wont find many floats, it's all straws, bottles and worse still 'Thames Trout'

We'd be better off getting rid of plastic bags and bottles in general, be nice to go to a bit of river, street, public park or beach and not see them strewn everywhere by morons

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
We'd be better off getting rid of plastic bags and bottles in general
It might help, but only slightly. The majority of micro-plastics in our rivers comes from road markings (thermoplastics that wash down the drains when they wear away), vehicle tyres (bet you never thought of that), and washing artificial fibres such as acrylics and fleeces. All that amounts to around 70% of micro-plastics. (Source Boucher and Friot, 2017)

TrickyD

Reaction score
Regarding use of plastics etc, does anyone know of any monofilament recycling schemes ? I end up spending ages chopping it into tiny pieces before binning it.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Regarding use of plastics etc, does anyone know of any monofilament recycling schemes ? I end up spending ages chopping it into tiny pieces before binning it.

I stick mine in an old tin with a splash of petrol and set fire to it in the garden, it reduces to a solid blob which is at least harmless to wildlife when it reaches landfill.