Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  61
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    binka Guest

Default Re: Encounters with animals whilst fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by chrissh View Post
    About 3 years ago I fished the Witham at dog duke in the summer and had never seen so many grass snakes in one day they were swimming in the river and sunning there self’s on the bank I must have seen 15 to 20 that day
    I witnessed a mass migration of snakes during a hot afternoon on the Trent a couple of years ago, once the first one had swam across there were many more and some actually got hit on the surface by Pike or Zander, almighty hits too.

Never seen anything like it before or since...

I've had a cow come crashing down from a high bank and landing right in front of me in my swim, I could hear the tearing of grass as it munched its way closer to the edge before falling about eight feet to the water.

Mink are fairly common in my part, especially the ones which will walk over your feet rather than go around you.

Many years ago a friend guested me on British Sugar's lakes at Muskham and we ended up doing a tackle laden charge followed by a head first dive over a gate to escape a very angry bull which was, when we set out, in a distant part of a large field but craftily waited until we were right in the middle before putting in an athletic dash towards us.

Bloody thing...

I hope I've had a good part of it with a smear of mustard some time in the past!

A large dog otter was the most surprising though, I was wading and trotting what is a usually productive weirpool early one Autumn morning but I was struggling for a bite.

The pool is quite sheltered by large trees on both banks and you couldn't hear yourself think for the strong wind which was howling through them and this fella must have had an inkling that something wasn't right and had to get in close to investigate.

A large head, complete with whiskers in perfect formation, surfaced without making a ripple around twenty feet in front of me and looking directly at me, we made direct eye contact for a couple of seconds before he slipped back down and disappeared, again without leaving a ripple or a boil on the surface.

And I once had a long drop bobbin eaten by rats during a night session fishing for eels!

One of my favourites though was an ex-club water which you could very much say is on the edge of the town centre and one morning a Kingfisher landed on my rod with a small fish slumped across its beak, manipulated the fish so that he was holding it by the tail, and then gave it a sharp tap on the rod to stun it before turning and swallowing it...

All within six or so feet of me.
    Last edited by binka; 16-09-2018 at 08:46.

My worst experiences have been with wasps, one had landed on a sandwich I was eating and stung me on my lower lip, could have been dangerous if it had stung my throat, I believe the swelling can stop you breathing.

The other time I was strimming the river bank for the game angling club I used to belong to, when I walked over a wasp nest and felt the stings going into my head and neck, legged it up the bank into the field, looked back and they were still following me, dropped the strimmer and ran further away, as the engine was still running they decided to attack the strimmer instead of me.
    Think I was stung about ten times all together.

Blog Entries

As a stupid young kid of around eight (or younger), my mates and I decided to stuff a lighted banger into the hole leading into a wasps nest below ground, and then put a brick on top of it; of course the whole nest of wasps erupted from the nest and we all got stung several times, I also had wasps up one of my sleeves stinging me repeatedly.
    I learnt a valuable lesson that day.

As for entomology I’ve had wasp nests and bee nests in my swim but I remember another insect related experience that I had on the bank when I was a small lad of around 10 and was fishing with a whip after Bleak on the Thames with my dad, and was eating a ham sandwich.

My float disappeared so I put my ham sandwich down on the grass and then landed the Bleak and recast. I then I picked up my sandwich while still looking at my float and swallowed a few large bites of my sandwich. I remember thinking it tasted a bit gristly, but when I looked I found that my maggots had escaped onto the grass; right where I had lain my sandwich; and they’d crawled into it.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 17-09-2018 at 14:06.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Twice now I've caught turtles (or terrapins, I couldn't tell you what the difference is). Once in Hastings and once in a lake in France. I presume that someone got them to keep as pets and released them when they got too big.

Their bite (and fight) is very reminiscent of a bream.

As a piker I'm not afraid of teeth, but I know how to handle pike. I'm not so sure about turtles so I left them in the water while unhooking and did the best I could with forceps...

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I remember many years ago in Ireland me and my mate were bagging up on a lake when a herd of heifers surrounded us. I moo-ed at them which seemed to go down extraordinarily badly and we ended up scrambling up a tree to get out of their way. We were up there about 30 mins before they lost interest and wandered off. I've been surrounded by cows on several other occasions but thats the only time theyve ever been aggressive.

2-3 winters back at Bury Hill I used to regularly see an old boar badger who'd waddle up and sit behind me until I lobbed him a mackerel head to gnaw on.

Best encounter ever wasnt me but Mrs S. One morning I was loading the car early doors and a cat must have snuck in without me seeing. I buqqered off fishing and when I returned I got a right shoeing from Mrs S. The cat had got in the bedroom and lay on the floor breathing. Mrs S ( a light sleeper) woke and lay petrified listening to this breathing not having a clue what it was and knowing I'd gone out.

Then it jumped on the bed and scared the bejasus out of her. Goodness knows what the neighbours thought of the screams.

I too am wary of cows and bulls. My local dayticket water is a working farm which breed Bazardais cattle the bulls of which are very impressive. I was sat on the bank when the farmers son erected an electric fence about 20 yards behind me. I know it was close because he enquired whether i was likely to catch it with a rod!!! A few minutes later a large bull followed by his harem arrived in the enclosure bellowing furiously and just behind me separated by a thin wire 3 feet of the ground. That was the one and only time i have changed peg and moved to an adjacent lake; and quickly!!!

Blog Entries

My mate Terry told me about when he was fishing a small river with some cows in the field behind him, and one cow came up to him and started to nuzzle his gear; and he heard a voice shout “Just give it a knock on its nose!, that’ll get rid of it!” the voice came from behind a bush on the other side of the stream.

So my mate clenched his fist and knocked the cow on its nose and the cow just looked at him and gave him a funny look and carried on nuzzling his gear as if nothing had happened.

”No, give it a harder punch on the nose!” said the voice, and so my mate clenched his fist even tighter and gave the cow an even harder wallop on its nose, but still to no avail.

”No don’t pussy around!, give it a really hard wallop!, and don’t hold back!” the voice shouted; so my mate did exactly as the voice had said and gave the cow a god almighty thump on the nose, and the cow just looked up at him and then pushed my mate and his gear straight into the stream, and the voice on the other bank shouted “Run!”.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 20-09-2018 at 09:02.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Blog Entries

I think the most horrible encounter for me was when I was packing up after a 3 day session, I had removed everything from my bivvie apart from my holdall but when I did there was a snake under it, I am terrified of the things, it made me shudder to think it had been in there with me.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thecrow View Post
    I think the most horrible encounter for me was when I was packing up after a 3 day session, I had removed everything from my bivvie apart from my holdall but when I did there was a snake under it, I am terrified of the things, it made me shudder to think it had been in there with me.
    You're as soft as me Graham.
    I did similar back in the late eighties.
    Bivvied up on a Notts pit I woke with the dawn and still half awake reached over my head to retrieve my flask for a cup of coffee.
    I jumped out of my skin when a rat ran up my arm , onto my chest and out the bivvy in a tiny opening in the nearly zipped up door opening.
    I nearly cr- p - - d myself !!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    I jumped out of my skin when a rat ran up my arm , onto my chest and out the bivvy in a tiny opening in the nearly zipped up door opening.
    Ughh I would never have gone back I hate the things.

The snake thing was while fishing in the Nene Valley, the place is full of them.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast