Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  61
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Encounters with animals whilst fishing.

I seem to attract the local nutter whenever am out. You know the ones. They often start by asking how you doing then for the next hour or so tell me about their whole life. This also happens to me is shops, sitting alone on benches and mowing my front lawn. I just seem a magnet to these people.
    Other encounters also include a Red Robin sitting on my rod. This happens quite regularly in the winter months. I've had a Cow munch my ground bait in a bucket. A Kingfisher grabbing a fish i was reeling in. Been knocked in the water by a pee'd off sheep. Had another Cow lay right down behind me. So close i could feel her chest breathing. Every now and then poking her head out over my shoulder.

Blog Entries

I have had a few unwanted visitors in my bivvie over the years, a hedgehog wandered in, I had a bat fly in and couldn't find its way out and a rat that chewed through my groundsheet to get at my bait that was under my bedchair.

The hedgehog I didn't mind the bat was funny but the rat had me up all night checking no more were trying to get in and the bait went up a tree.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

binka Guest

Just found these pictures from a couple of years ago whilst looking for something else and this thread sprang to mind.

It's a small mouse on the banks of the Trent and I remember thinking that he must have reached the point during a bitterly cold January day where he thought it was worth taking the risk for the food I was putting aside for him and I shared his company under the brolly for the best part of the day...

new upload photos

We're all a load of big softies at heart!

Quote Originally Posted by iain t View Post
    I seem to attract the local nutter whenever am out. You know the ones. They often start by asking how you doing then for the next hour or so tell me about their whole life. This also happens to me is shops, sitting alone on benches and mowing my front lawn. I just seem a magnet to these people.
    I am glad its not just me then. A new neighbour moved in and on an hour long bus ride into Lincoln he saw me and I was the object of his life story diatribe OUT VERY LOUD. I just wish people would shut up and sit quietly on public transport. Don't get me started on those who have loud telephone conversations in public. Humbug Humbug.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    Just found these pictures from a couple of years ago whilst looking for something else and this thread sprang to mind.

It's a small mouse on the banks of the Trent and I remember thinking that he must have reached the point during a bitterly cold January day where he thought it was worth taking the risk for the food I was putting aside for him and I shared his company under the brolly for the best part of the day...

new upload photos

We're all a load of big softies at heart!
    Here's another one Steve. A little bait thief!

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Moles.

Had one surface right next to me one evening. I knew something was afoot when my discarded cap started shuffling off down the bank.

On another occasion while trite fishing I watched this thing swim right across the ressie. Wasnt until it got close that I realised it was Moley. Dont ask me how he got into a concrete bowl or how he was going to get out. I gave him a lift over the wall and he scuttled off as happy as you like given that he'd just swum what must have seemed like the Channel.

Used to see shrews all the time but I've not seen one for years. Why is that I wonder ?
    Last edited by S-Kippy; 26-09-2018 at 06:17.

I've seen 3 otters this season, 2 on the Kennet and 1 on the Thames at Sonning.

Seen several barn owls over the years. One evening a barn owl flew round a field behind me, I took a few photos but they were not very good.

I once found a weasel in my carp landing net, I grabbed the net and ran into the next swim to show my mate.

Once when carp fishing 2 squirrels were fighting on a branch above me, 1 of them fell from the tree into the edge of the lake between my carp rods and then managed to climb out and run off.

I was woken one night in my bivvy by something scratching around underneath my bedchair - it was a huge yellow toad!

Once I set up my bivvy to find that at the edge of the groundsheet was a hole with bees coming and going. I moved swims straight away and later at home identified them as cuckoo bees.

Twice I have been chased by a herd of cows - those big white ones - I think they are French and called Charolet?? Very frightening.

Seen a few mink over the years. They are on the Thames, Aylesbury Arm, at Harefield, not at all rare.

Seen shrews over the years, they are very good at stealing your bait and make neat piles of it.

When carp fishing once I had been eating pieces of cold chicken wrapped in silver paper, I had put the used bits of silver paper in a rubbish bag. That night a fox came in the bivvy and stole the rubbish bag - I told my mate and he said that the fox defiantly wouldn't want my bait!!!

Blog Entries

I once watched a rat bringing its young out of a hole on a rapidly rising river Witham and carry them to a higher one , I counted around six or seven that took some twenty minutes.

Flight liner your post reminded me of an encounter with mice - loads of 'em! I had made a new swim on a carp lake, bivvied up was nicely dozing off. Then a huge gang of mice appeared and I just couldn't scare them away. They drove me mad all night and in the morning I found that they had made a hole in the side of my bivvy, and bitten through the lid of a bait bucket. I gave up on that swim and moved.

Blog Entries

Stretch of a small river I used to fish always had sheep in the field along with 2 llama's one black one white, if the black one saw you it would make a beeline for you, I was always very wary of the thing although It never harmed anyone as far as I know, perhaps it was after food?
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast