Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  56
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Encounters with animals whilst fishing.

In one outing i came across a Mink,Snake,Mice and to cap it all i caught a terrapin all in one days outing at a local farm pond,that Mink was a local as i had seen it many times during my visits,of course it could have been one of the offspring but that Terrapin Turtle was a right pain to get off the hook,seemed he liked luncheon meat better than the fish did.
    it was how big?

I was roving along the River Teme with my dad when I was about 12, walking about 6ft behind him at the top of the bank i hear a loud buzzing noise, a split second later im being stung on the back of my neck. The buzzing just gets louder and louder. Turns out there was a wasp nest in the bank that my dad had trodden on. As he had carried on walking im the prime suspect and ended up being attacked by the whole nest. The rod and landing net got chucked to 1 side as i try to run accross a field in waders while removing my bait apron and my coat while my dad laughs at me. Ended up at Tenbury wells hospital to get checked over and the promise of some new tackle if I didnt tell my mom.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JONM14 View Post
    I was roving along the River Teme with my dad when I was about 12, walking about 6ft behind him at the top of the bank i hear a loud buzzing noise, a split second later im being stung on the back of my neck. The buzzing just gets louder and louder. Turns out there was a wasp nest in the bank that my dad had trodden on. As he had carried on walking im the prime suspect and ended up being attacked by the whole nest. The rod and landing net got chucked to 1 side as i try to run accross a field in waders while removing my bait apron and my coat while my dad laughs at me. Ended up at Tenbury wells hospital to get checked over and the promise of some new tackle if I didnt tell my mom.
    I remember back in the late 70’s a mate and I were poaching a weir pool during the night on the river Kennet; which went alongside the front garden of a house situated on the far bank.

In the dark I could feel what I thought were those sticky seeds which stick to your clothing on my knees and shins and thought little of it.

Untill a light suddenly turned on and a lady came out of her front door on the far bank walking her dog along her front path.

My mate and I kept very quiet, but in the light I happened to look down at my knees and I saw that my legs were covered in wasps where I was standing on top of a nest, and I gave a muzzled shriek and ran off trying to brush them off of my jeans.

And there was also another angler who we hadn’t known was also fishing there who also scarpered off pretty quickly too.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 15-12-2018 at 16:04.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I got home from fishing a secluded lake a few years ago to find my wife watching Bill Oddie doing one of his birdwatching programmes on the TV. He was talking about a shy, secretive and relatively uncommon water fowl called a water rail, that is apparently almost always only glimpsed through the reeds. A couple of hours before I'd had one standing on my foot.

Hi

A few years ago I was sitting on the side of the local canal, next thing a dog ran past me followed by the biggest swarm of angry wasps I've ever seen. I ran for what seemed ages before the wasps stopped chasing and stinging me. I think my wife counted 80 stings while she applied TCP - ouch!!

I rang a friend who is an A&E nurse and she said if I didn't get a reaction withing minutes I would be okay.

All I can think is the dog dug / disturbed the nest and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, story of my life!!

I also remember a slug crawling up my jeans while night fishing and it was still there when the jeans came out of the wash - not a happy wifey!!

KevT
    Last edited by kevt; 11-12-2018 at 20:27.

Apart from the standard run-ins with cows (some truly scary) my most memorable incident was once when stalking some chub on the Colne. These were about the spookiest chub I have ever known so the approach had to be full on SAS type lurking in the undergrowth-worth it because these chub were at 5 Ib plus. During this creeping about I disturbed a bunch of about half a dozen pheasants who simultaneously shot up into the air in high dudgeon making an almighty racket. I have never actually needed a change of underwear but that was as close as i want to get to it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234