Good starter pole

Dan82

Reaction score
Hi

I’m relatively new to fishing and want to buy a pole but don’t want to spend a fortune . Anyone got any good recommendations?

sagalout

Reaction score
Difficult to advise someone else not least because what suits one doesn't suit another not many will have an extensive knowledge of all the poles available and as Mark says, length and budget.

The venues you fish will determine the length you need, where I fish there is no advantage to a 16m pole because you still can't reach the far margin.

Unless you are a dedicated pole user going past 11m starts to get less pleasure fishing and more I must compete.

The Drennan red ranges offer superb value for money, £225 to £275. The new maver MVR performance looks like good value for a lot more money £800.

Spares costs are another consideration, you will break sections or want more top kits, red range £30 MVR £80.

Shimano beastmaster 850b margin is a fantastic pole and would give you a a taste of short pole fishing for not a lot of money, and has a good resale value, would also be a reasonable 2nd hand buy with quite a few available in vgc. New about £160 2nd hand about £100-120. Topkits about £50.

The Middy XT15 gets a lot of recommendations, about £400.

daniel121

Reaction score
The more expensive the pole the more brittle and susceptable damage from misuse they become.

This means they are really strong light and stiff if used correctly but incorrect use makes them break very easy. With this on mind I personally would not even think about buying an expensive pole untill you have got the 'nack' of handling a pole.

I'm sorry I cannot provide you with examples to try, the last time I brought a pole was over 10 years ago.

caught any mate

Reaction score
Margin pole ...beastmaster will take some beating
13 metre pole ....technium
Both low end priced poles,both strong and good value.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Margin pole ...beastmaster will take some beating
13 metre pole ....technium
Both low end priced poles,both strong and good value.

I think you will be lucky to get a Technium, Shimano discontinued them a few years ago. I had one as a back up/long margin pole when I didn't fancy using a more expensive pole. The beastmaster is a good pole ,another one I had , they hold their value, IF the OP budget is a couple of hundred quid, I would look for a good 2nd hand pole, but take someone who knows what they are looking at with them, An example being on my club website, is a 13 metre Maver Grim Reaper with 3 power kits and a match kit, in tubes and holdall for 160 quid, I have seen the pole and it is in very good condition,

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Post and tell us how you got on, don't forget to include cost of elastics, bungs and connectors in your budget, depending on how much you pay for your pole, some shops will throw these in for free,and some will elasticate the pole for you. A good pole for 299 quid is the Daiwa Power Carp, it may have carp in its name but can be used for silvers as well, you get a total of 4 topkits , tubes and holdall, the topkits are reinforced for drilling for side pullers, the pole is 13 metres.