Help with feeder fishing

Ashy

Reaction score
Hi lads and lasses,

Just looking for a bit of help if it’s possible. I’ve been fishing a few times over the years since I was a kid but have now started to fish a lot more regularly and have been having problems this week.

When I used to fish as a kid I would use a feeder on a quiver tip rod. I fish local commercial fisheries and had many days where I have caught a lot of fish. The quiver tip on my feeder rod would detect any movement so I have seen like bites all the way to having the rod tip whipped straight round by decent sized carp.

So recently I purchased another quiver tip rod after a few years away. Was so excited to get back out with my feeders. Got to the water cast in and immediately started to get those little knocks of fish around my feeder but no actual bites. Got fed up and tried striking a few times to no avail.

So I changed bait and thought I would try to fish closer to an island in the middle....nothing . After a while I thought I would get some more bait in, as I start to reel in a feel a fish fighting. Low and behold a small mirror carp approx 3lbs. But my rod tip didn’t register a bite! why?

So my set up is an 11 foot feeder, I had a 1oz tip on. 8lb mono line, a guru inline feeder to a size 12 hook. Pellets in the feeder and a soft hook pellet hook bait.

I tried changing the length of my hook link, tried altering the drag on my reel both ways. Tried outing my hook bait in the feeder mould, hook bait separate. But for the life of me I can’t figure out why my boys aren’t registering. I should post out that on separate occasions I have had bait missing from my hook.

What’s going on?

corixa58

Reaction score
Hi that's a very odd one, is your clutch broken, slipping or is your bail arm flipping back over ?

corixa58

Reaction score
Me again your rod isn't pointing right at the feeder ? I mean have you got an angle ie 45 degrees to the feeder if you know what I mean.

Ashy

Reaction score
Hi that's a very odd one, is your clutch broken, slipping or is your bail arm flipping back over ?

All is fine mate, bail arm is fine so is clutch. All I can imagine is that they are just cautious and just haven’t taken the bait properly.
Maybe it’s in my head but I feel that I have more success using a cage feeder on a swivel as opposed to an in-line feeder. Could it possibly make a difference as there is less resistance on the line?

For example the length of an in-line feeder is 2 inches, so Would a fish be more likely to be spooked as the line drags through the feeder as opposed to just the couple of mm that it has to travel through a swivel......does that make sense? Lol

Sorry I’m finding it hard to explain what I’m talking about lol

spenbeck

Reaction score
Are you sure your soft pellets are not coming off the hook when it hits the water when casting out.

Try banded hard pellet, these won't come off.

Ashy

Reaction score
Are you sure your soft pellets are not coming off the hook when it hits the water when casting out.

Try banded hard pellet, these won't come off.

Yeah il give that a go mate thanks