Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: barbell fishing for the beginer

Quote Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
    Ahhh , I can tie my own quick stops and have done but with meat fishing on still waters I found the main issue is if there is smaller fish or smaller carp say less than 4lb you get done as nibble it off !
    Barbel in rivers don’t tend to nibble at your bait Matt, the first thing you usually get is your line screaming off, although you do occasionally get one mouthing the bait as it moves over it, before it decides to scream off.

Even the Chub don’t really nibble a lot, if they’re in a feeding shoal they tend to pick the meat up in their lips and try to move off away from the others around it before trying to swallow it properly unless they are really big when they’ll swallow it straight away, so a very short hair or hook mounted meat usually works best for them.

It’s the fish like gudgeon, Roach, Dace, bleak and minnows that do most of the nibbling on a river; that’s if they can get near the bait before the Chub and Barbel find it.

The Quickstops work fine on smaller lumps of meat but any larger then I’ll use a normal hair with meat stops and short lengths of tubing over the hair (pushed inside the meat) to prevent the hair from cutting through the meat.

Im not really a great lover of having rubber bands placed around my bait so banded baits are out for me, but the spirals you mention look ok.
    I do have a couple of packets of hooks with spirals attached but the ones I have are a little too small for mounting big chunks of meat on.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 16-07-2019 at 19:08.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Blog Entries

Barbel in my opinion is all about location,something that is more difficult on the majority of venues as barbel populations have fallen,also strong tackle,by this I mean books that will not open before your line breaks,knots,rigs etc,rods must be capable of stopping the fish fairly quickly,depending on the river your fishing,weed,snags all have to be taken into consideration,I know this sounds obvious,but lots of anglers underestimate barbel,chub are poor fighters in comparison(and I love chub),when on barbel tackle I can stop a chub dead in its tracks,if I think I need to,most times I don't have to,which is good as it's better for the fish. Tight lines Matt....

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Barbel in my opinion is all about location,something that is more difficult on the majority of venues as barbel populations have fallen,
    My thoughts too Alan. I also don’t believe that the biggest barbel are in the fast weir water quite as much as some believe. Certainly some will be there (and I’ve caught quite a few there over the years) but with so many smaller ones in residence the odds are not that good. If I want the bigger fish I prefer to try to locate them in steady swims in the main river and spend quite a bit of time with polaroids when the water is clear enough. I also believe that the bigger fish moving into slacks and backwaters isn’t confined to cold water or flood conditions – I’ve also come across them in summer, why I don’t know. They probably don’t stay there in summer, just visit for a few hours every few days feeding/looking for food until they believe that the larder is empty.....

There was a stretch of the Loddon years ago that pre-baiting/introducing loose feed was a waste of time.Once you knew the swims that they tended to visit it was lob a single bait in and the take was often instant – if there was no response within around 10 minutes it was off to the next spot................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I know this sounds obvious,but lots of anglers underestimate barbel,chub are poor fighters in comparison(and I love chub),when on barbel tackle I can stop a chub dead in its tracks,if I think I need to,most times I don't have to,which is good as it's better for the fish. Tight lines Matt....
    One stretch of small Hertfordshire river that I fish usually has a few Carp swimming up and down it, and when I’m barbeling I occasionally hook one of these similar sized Carp but I can usually tell it’s a Carp straight away because although it does put up a spirited fight; compared to the Barbel in this streamlike river the Carp don’t fight anywhere near as hard and come in fairly easy compared to one of the similar sized Barbel in there.

So as Whitty said don’t under estimate the fight of a Barbel.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 16-07-2019 at 13:33.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12