Best bait and set up for float fishing

Floataddict1

Reaction score
So I'm really into float fishing, but I am really interested to learn what people think is the best baits abd depths. I mainly fish for roach and perch at the minute, using maggots and usually about a foot and a half deep. Any further tips would be great.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The best advice I could suggest would be to get a copy of the excellent ‘Encyclopaedia of Float Fishing’ by Billy Lane as the bible in 137 pages.

bonjqvi

Reaction score
So I'm really into float fishing, but I am really interested to learn what people think is the best baits abd depths. I mainly fish for roach and perch at the minute, using maggots and usually about a foot and a half deep. Any further tips would be great.

try worm they are bought from the tackle shop aswell in tubs ,and they usually get some really big perch and carp , castor and sweetcorn aswell they all do well for what you fish for , I would find out how deep the water is by using a weight and fish on the bottom for great results

rich66

Reaction score
Try 3” over the depth of the water. Small shot 3” from your hook. Works well for me. Maggots are good, keep feeding a few 5-10 every minute or so. Sweetcorn for a change tinned is better than frozen I find.
Plenty of YouTube videos on float fishing out there I quite like amateur angling

Also premier floats have examples of rig set ups. I also think Dave Harrels website has a similar feature

d.owens

Reaction score
As stated by rich66 above, fishing over depth can be a killer tactic. I usually have a BB shot resting on the bottom and find a cocktail of worm and a grain of corn on the hook can pick out decent fish. I will fish over bread based groundbait laced with crushed hemp and use corn/maggots/chopped worm etc sparingly as loose feed.
This is a good tactic when the wind is a problem as your float is anchored and prevents drift.