Light reel with qr spools for canals and light carping?

daniel121

Reaction score
As above - anything standout fot not huge dollar ?

Qr spool? Quick release?

I dont know what your price bracket is however I can say shimano used to have quality reels very cheep. Unfortunately I believe kit is not the quality of what it was 8 years ago, its being cheapend down but maintaining the price.

That said a 50 quid shimano will be a darn sight better than any reel I used for the first 20 years of my fishing life.

mikench

Reaction score
How much do you want to spend? Wait for the sales this weekend but do have an idea of what is good value. I rate Shimano but all bought new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Sorry,should have said a budget, little as poss but max £60 I think....

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Fishing a canal can be somewhat different to carping, when you say “light carping” what exactly do you mean?

Fishing Allder’s farm Pine and Ash lakes.
Carp up to about 16ish Lb I think.

Rod is a 10 foot Maver float rod.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fishing Allder’s farm Pine and Ash lakes.
Carp up to about 16ish Lb I think.

Rod is a 10 foot Maver float rod.

Will you be targeting carp on the canal or fishing for silvers?

I ask because if you want to fish for both carp and silvers you will need two spools with different breaking strains, light for silvers 2 to 4lb and heavier for carp maybe between 6 and 10lb depending on the features.

The Ninja doesn’t come with a spare spool, buying a spare isn’t cost effective.

I was going to suggest something like the Drennan FD3000, a good budget reel which I started with, they come with two spare aluminium spools making them terrific value but I see they are now discontinued, they do pop up on EBay from time to time, there a couple at present.
DRENNAN FD 3000 FIXED SPOOL MATCH FISHING REEL + 2 SPARE SPOOLS + BOX EXCELLENT | eBay

Drennan may have superseded that reel with a newer model, maybe another member might be familiar with them.

sam vimes

Reaction score
For sixty quid you aren't going to get the lightest reels in any of the manufacturers ranges. They reserve their lightest materials for costlier products. Quick release spools also rules out the vast majority of front drag reels. There are some front drag reels with quick release, but they tend to be expensive. You've effectively narrowed your choice down to small (to keep the weight down), front drag reels.

Stretch a bit further, and do away with the QR requirement, and get a Daiwa Matchwinner 2508 from Hull Angling Centre. It's not the lightest reel in the world, but it'll knock spots off anything around the same price and be capable of living with any (float) rod upgrades/change in venues that might crop up. I bought one because it was a steal and then bought a second in short order.

Alternatively, wait until Bobco's sale at the weekend and get 20% off the Shimano Super GT 2500RD. Again, not the lightest reel (of its size) in the world, but the oversized spool, and spool reducers, offer a lot to a float angler.

Otherwise, you're looking at the likes of the Shimano Sahara RD, Daiwa Megaforce X, and similar.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That Daiwa looks a serious bargain, with a spare spool too.

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Sam,thanks for the info.
I hadn’t thought about losing the front drag, so good point.

I will investigate the reels you mentioned

Also,as you said,I do want to have seperate spools for various venues but don’t want to buy new reels all the time.

And when I said light,I meant light work rather than light weight btw.

Noob returning to the bank after 35 odd years....

john step

Reaction score
I cant fault my Drennan Series 7 float reel. 3 spools . £45.