Trying to hook chub when freelining breadflake.

tink

Reaction score
Good evening,

Spent a couple of hours on my local river yesterday evening fishing for chub. I caught a couple of fish between 1-2lb on floating crust but noticed the bigger ones preferred the bread slowly sinking so pinched some flake on the hook.

The water was gin clear and i could watch the chub snaffling the freebies so i cast my hookbait in. I must have cast 10 times and every time the bigger chub came towards the bread and clearly took it into their mouths. Each time i struck i felt a 'bump' but no hook ups!

Was it because i was freelining the bait? The hook was a size 6.

I did catch a nice roach of 1lb 6oz but as soon as i did the chub scarpered!

What are your thoughts on this please?

theartist

Reaction score
It's defo NOT because you were freelining the bait make no mistake if you can see the fish freelining is the best way by far.

Maybe try a smaller hook say a 10/12 with the point showing and vary the size of your bait, sometimes they will wolf down a smaller bit or go for the golf ball size bits depending on what day of the week it is. Also Chub can be skitty when it's really bright and the water is clear, a cloudy day could see them being totally the opposite.

tink

Reaction score
It's defo NOT because you were freelining the bait make no mistake if you can see the fish freelining is the best way by far.

Maybe try a smaller hook say a 10/12 with the point showing and vary the size of your bait, sometimes they will wolf down a smaller bit or go for the golf ball size bits depending on what day of the week it is. Also Chub can be skitty when it's really bright and the water is clear, a cloudy day could see them being totally the opposite.

Thankyou for the reply.

I wasn't sure which way to go regarding the hook size but next time will go smaller and vary the size of the flake.

The most frustrating thing was I could see the chub had lost their minds chasing the freebies and I couldn't hook one!!

Another Dave

Reaction score
If it were me I'd go for the roach.

I do have the same problem freelining for chub sometimes. Last time it happened I switched to a light ledger and sat on my hands until the rod went round.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I experience this on my local river, some days they are on it, some days they aren’t.

theartist

Reaction score
Thankyou for the reply.

I wasn't sure which way to go regarding the hook size but next time will go smaller and vary the size of the flake.

The most frustrating thing was I could see the chub had lost their minds chasing the freebies and I couldn't hook one!!

No worries, bet it was fun though, I know it's one of my favourite bits of fishing, watching them big white lips open up.

Despite having super gobs the old chub can really be delicate takers if they have been round the block on well fished waters. Make sure the bread is falling with the free offerings at the same pace as it will induce a better take than one going down on it's lonesome, sometimes it only needs a couple of freebies with a bait like bread, much the same as float fishing take time to mend the line if needed too so that it falls natural, good luck its gonna be fun :thumbs:

Reaction score
I would imagine you were either striking early or late,chub often hold the bait in their lips,on the other hand it you strike late the beggars will open their mouths leaving it difficult to hook up.

tink

Reaction score
No worries, bet it was fun though, I know it's one of my favourite bits of fishing, watching them big white lips open up.

Despite having super gobs the old chub can really be delicate takers if they have been round the block on well fished waters. Make sure the bread is falling with the free offerings at the same pace as it will induce a better take than one going down on it's lonesome, sometimes it only needs a couple of freebies with a bait like bread, much the same as float fishing take time to mend the line if needed too so that it falls natural, good luck its gonna be fun :thumbs:

It was certainly fun - the heart was racing a bit! Thanks again for the tips. :thumbs:

I would imagine you were either striking early or late,chub often hold the bait in their lips,on the other hand it you strike late the beggars will open their mouths leaving it difficult to hook up.

The first couple of times i was striking too early so left it longer. I thought it was a dead cert i'd nail one as the bread was completely disappearing in their mouths. Well frustrating but i'll have another go at them soon!

allrounder 71

Reaction score
Good evening,

Spent a couple of hours on my local river yesterday evening fishing for chub. I caught a couple of fish between 1-2lb on floating crust but noticed the bigger ones preferred the bread slowly sinking so pinched some flake on the hook.

The water was gin clear and i could watch the chub snaffling the freebies so i cast my hookbait in. I must have cast 10 times and every time the bigger chub came towards the bread and clearly took it into their mouths. Each time i struck i felt a 'bump' but no hook ups!

Was it because i was freelining the bait? The hook was a size 6.

I did catch a nice roach of 1lb 6oz but as soon as i did the chub scarpered!

What are your thoughts on this please?
Its not because you were freelining or the hook size..a size 6 is fine chub have big mouths use a bigger piece of flake or crust the size of a 50p.wait dont strike at knocks on the tip.wait till it goes round then strike .hit and hold because chub will head for the nearest snag

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Just watch for your line to accelerate away,often your chub are holding the flake in their lips making their minds up whether or not to eject,your striking early made their minds up for them,if you do it a couple of times they become more nervous...