Groundbait Recipes for Method Feeder??

FeederHatch

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if people have any advice / tips on a good groundbait recipe for an in-line method feeder set-up?

Plus how often do people recast their method feeders??

Many thanks

daniel121

Reaction score
I very rarely use method feeders with groundbait, however the best place for help with this will be YouTube, loads of videos on there for help on how to mix shop brought groundbaits.

One thing I will say is, you want to fish waters 4 foot or less for that method due to water pressure knocking the bait off. Also reference your recasting that depends on how much bait you wish to introduce.

I suggest have a look on you tube and come back with more questions after you have seen some how to videos.

Good luck

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
My base method is one Andy Findlay introduced called 2:2:1.

Mix 2 parts micros to 1 part groundbait (I use Sonubaits match method mix but any fish meal based will do), Dry.

Then add 2 parts water. Mix well, cover and leave for 20 mins.

Perfect!

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
My base method is one Andy Findlay introduced called 2:2:1.

Mix 2 parts micros to 1 part groundbait (I use Sonubaits match method mix but any fish meal based will do), Dry.

Then add 2 parts water. Mix well, cover and leave for 20 mins.

Perfect!

FeederHatch

Reaction score
Thanks Daniel,

What do you put on the method instead of groundbait? Do you go straight to pellets only?

FeederHatch

Reaction score
Thanks G.E.

So as an example could that be 2 pints micro pellets, 1 pint Groundbait, 2 pints water?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Yes though for a session that might be rather a lot. I use a plastic drinking cup, like you get off water dispensers.

If you try it, let me know how you get on?

FeederHatch

Reaction score
Thanks GE and yeah that would be a lot! ?????? But, it was the easiest way for me to check I was understanding your ratios correctly.
Thanks and I’ll let you know how I get on!

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Another option for micro and groundbait is.. Have a tub of micros wetted down with a few 4mm in with them, put wetted micros on feeder with a couple of 4mm, and use as you normally would, Then have a bait tub/bowl of method groundbait mixed, and use that on its own with chosen hookbait, if using pellets on hook, you could try catapulting say two or three over the top where feeder has landed, using separate approaches like this will give you an idea on which is working the best, Use this in two different swims, then you have a throwaway line, As for moving the feeder, once you have cast out and put some feed down, leave it until you get a bite,but i never leave it longer than 15 minutes, that is my preference, others may say different. On some waters this could be a couple of minutes, others upto 15,Any longer i will either cast slighty longer or shorter or to the left or right.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
YouTube

This is very interesting, especially around the use of just pellets on the method.

I’ve used a pellet / groundbait combination as described above on waters where gb is allowed for some time but this really questions the use of pellets alone as it seems unlikely this will present the bait properly.

An interesting watch for anyone that fishes the method.

daniel121

Reaction score
Thanks Daniel,

What do you put on the method instead of groundbait? Do you go straight to pellets only?

Yes I do, I've told you a lie if I am too be 100% truthful I do use ground but in deeper swims, so in the 3-4 foot swim I will use a handful of ground bait to fill the gaps in my pellets.Also I use 1mm pellets to do similar in 1-3 foot swims.

I don't think that is common practice but I think it helps me present my bait better, if it does or not is a different case. :)

daniel121

Reaction score
YouTube

This is very interesting, especially around the use of just pellets on the method.

I’ve used a pellet / groundbait combination as described above on waters where gb is allowed for some time but this really questions the use of pellets alone as it seems unlikely this will present the bait properly.

An interesting watch for anyone that fishes the method.

Great video, I actually saw this about 4 months ago, it's very interesting.

I did some experiments myself in a garden pond about 4 years ago, this was why I started using the 1mm pellets and Horlicks depending. The problem with fishing is the lack of concrete proof, most methods are based on incomplete information

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Fishing, poker and life are based on incomplete. Information my friend, as with method fishing, it’s often how we full the gaps that makes all the difference!

I’ve tried Horlicks as a binder and it certainly works. However I’ve found it rather easy to over do it and found the pellets tend to go very clumpy. Personally I prefer the subtlety that groundbait offers

FeederHatch

Reaction score
Very interesting video! I certainly found it pretty enlightening. I’m almost pleased to hear that an experienced angler’s perception of what the method is doing under the water is similar to mine, but in fact that wasn’t actually happening... Shows how when it comes to fishing you are literally always learning.

I’m tempted when I next go out to give the 221 a try to see what the results are like. I’ve never before used that amount of pellets over groundbait. I’d say my standard approach is similar to this one:

Master Method feeder fishing with Nick Speed - Dynamite Baits

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Great article about Nick’s approach. Lindholme Bonsai, where he fishes a lot, is a very hard fished water with matches very regularly. Consequently he has refined the method to stay ahead of the fierce competition.

A very fine angler and certainly nothing in that article I would disagree with.

The beauty of the 2:2:1 formula is that it’s very easy to get right, while method mixes are very easy to get wrong! I’d definitely recommend trying it as it will give you a great basis of understanding of what a well loaded method feeder should be like. Once you’ve developed that understanding it makes any mix you try far easier to get right. And it’s THE most important thing to get right in my opinion.

The other thing I’d add is to make sure you’re using a proper hook for the job. By proper I mean a circle pattern like a guru QM1 or a Preston PRC1 or whatever has replaced that in their current range (I use the gurus).

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I set micro pellets or even small pellets for ten seconds then drain the water
I use a method mix to stiffen the pellets up and add either corn or hemp depending on fishery rules

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Typically I prefer to use plain 2mm dampened pellets in my method feeder. If extra stickiness it needed, for fishing on deeper waters, then I only ever add in some Sensas 3000 Method Mix; it is stixcky enough with a good particle size and binds well with pellet.

I rarely ever add in anything else and certainly not any freebie hook samples as I want just the one option for the carp, that being my hookbait.

Last edited:

FeederHatch

Reaction score
I’m definitely going to give your 221 a go next time I’m out - I’m desperate to get out now, but might be a few weeks before I can go again.

I think I’ll also get myself some new Groundbait and pellets to try:

I like the look of the one Nick was using in the article: Dynamite Baits Marine Halibut. Probably won’t bother getting the swim stim though in order to stick with your 221, but might try these pellets instead:
Dynamite Baits Swim Stim Micro Sinking Carp Pellets

I also have Guru hooks, they are the pre-made method hair rigs or Banded rigs.

Any suggestions for the hair and do you put anything on the hook as well or tend to leave that free?

FeederHatch

Reaction score
GE,

Can I just check I’ve got your method correct:

So using something similar in size to a plastic water dispenser cup.

1. Add two cups of micros
2. Add one cup of Groundbait
3. Add two cups of water
4. Mix well

I normally mix about 200ml water to 1 pint groundbait, but I guess with the 221 as you are using more pellets to Groundbait these can soak up the extra water? Is that right?

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Yes that’s exactly right. Needs about 20 mins to soak up. If raining or warm, keep it covered.

A pellet on the band is fine with nothing on the actual hook. Size 16 is a good starting point. I carry a range of bandums, Wafters etc but often find a plain 6mm pellet works just as well.

Let me know how you get on?