Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

mikench

Reaction score
I use Sensor and Progold in 4,5 and 6 lb and cannot fault them. I use them for float and feeder fishing.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You didn't scroll far enough down the list.....................

Aha, got it, do they have stock, there’s no indication in that website, unless I’m still missing stuff:eek:mg:

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Sensor seems pretty good vfm.....I tried a small spool of Drennan DS but I dont really like it tbh, it seems very tangle prone on my new Daiwa reel.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Sensor seems pretty good vfm.....I tried a small spool of Drennan DS but I dont really like it tbh, it seems very tangle prone on my new Daiwa reel.

If by vfm you mean cheap then Sensor is certainly that. Its a marmite line...some people love it and then there is me. I wouldnt have the stuff in the house let alone on my reels. That said it will certainly do the job mentioned as will plenty of other lines. If I had to choose between Maxima and Sensor, both proper old school lines, then it would be Maxima for me. You could stop a trawler on 8lb Maxima.

And...much as I hate Sensor I'd choose that over Drennan DS any day. Nasty stuff....dont trust it.

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Whats the diiiference between old school and new school lines? Serious question ?

daniel121

Reaction score
If by vfm you mean cheap then Sensor is certainly that. Its a marmite line...some people love it and then there is me. I wouldnt have the stuff in the house let alone on my reels. That said it will certainly do the job mentioned as will plenty of other lines. If I had to choose between Maxima and Sensor, both proper old school lines, then it would be Maxima for me. You could stop a trawler on 8lb Maxima.

And...much as I hate Sensor I'd choose that over Drennan DS any day. Nasty stuff....dont trust it.

LOL I think you could stop two trawler's on 8lb Maxima mate. I think maxima is useless over 6lb but the best around line you can buy in the smaller sizes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
LOL I think you could stop two trawler's on 8lb Maxima mate. I think maxima is useless over 6lb but the best around line you can buy in the smaller sizes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Its certainly reliable. I used it for years until I found something which,imo, was better. I dont personally think one line can do everything well....I have various brands on my reels atm depending on what it is I'm trying to do. I do like Pro Gold but it is rather thick...or underated depending on how you look at it. I think Jerry is about right...6lb PG is effectively an 8lb bs line.

john step

Reaction score
Whats the diiiference between old school and new school lines? Serious question ?

I should think it refers to lines that have stood the test of time and are not thinner pre strected hi tech lines. I have tried these and found I am too ham fisted for them.

I use mostly Sensor for the brute stuff and maxima for the 2lb silver stuff. I have recently spooled up with 3.2lb bs Drennan floatfish for a trial for silversl. Seems OK.

I have recently reverted to Bayer Perlon for the finer hooklinks for silvers. 1.7 and 2.6 . I used it for donkeys years before trying the hi tech hooklinks. Like coming home!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Bayer. Another line I dont get on with. I like lines with a bit of stretch in them though not knicker elastic level and I've found a couple of newer lines ( I wouldnt exactly call them hi tec) that I'm happy with. I'm currently on some stuff from Matrix which is low(er) diameter which is performing well. A co-polymer which most of my favoured lines seem to be.

daniel121

Reaction score
Its certainly reliable. I used it for years until I found something which,imo, was better. I dont personally think one line can do everything well....I have various brands on my reels atm depending on what it is I'm trying to do. I do like Pro Gold but it is rather thick...or underated depending on how you look at it. I think Jerry is about right...6lb PG is effectively an 8lb bs line.

Oh I agree mate 100%, don't get me wrong.

I use a braid for super long distance feeder work, daiwa tournament St for all other feeder work, Preston reflo power for pole rigs and hook links and maxima from 2lb to 4lb for almost everything else.

But the OP wanted a one size fits all line, to me that's maxima. But it's all personal daiwa sensor debates on this forum proves that ;)

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Oh I agree mate 100%, don't get me wrong.

I use a braid for super long distance feeder work, daiwa tournament St for all other feeder work, Preston reflo power for pole rigs and hook links and maxima from 2lb to 4lb for almost everything else.

But the OP wanted a one size fits all line, to me that's maxima. But it's all personal daiwa sensor debates on this forum proves that ;)

Why do you favour the maxima sir ?

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Have bought 300m of Sensor, so will see how that pans out this weekend.....

Thanks for the input guys.

daniel121

Reaction score
Why do you favour the maxima sir ?

Sorry for late reply. The answer is I've used it for years it's very durable, flexible reel line and trustworthy reel line, it's time tested and I have 100% confidence in it.

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
So, Sensor then...seems OK, but can tangle off the spool occasionally, plus after a big fish fight seems very twisted...

Is this the nature of the beast ?

chrissh

Reaction score
Bait runner reels are the best at putting a twist in any line. Buy yourself a spin doctor

Also you might have to much line on your reel

YouTube

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
Have bought 300m of Sensor, so will see how that pans out this weekend.....

Thanks for the input guys.

I’ve put 8lb & 6lb Sensor on all my small Baitrunners and I have 15lb Daiwa Hypersensor, (same colour, thinner diameter) on my two larger Baitrunners that does for pike fishing.

Sensor is a no-nonsense line with good tensile strength and a bulk spool, kept in a dry, dark place, will last a couple of seasons, depending how fussy you are about changing your mono.

john step

Reaction score
I’ve put 8lb & 6lb Sensor on all my small Baitrunners and I have 15lb Daiwa Hypersensor, (same colour, thinner diameter) on my two larger Baitrunners that does for pike fishing.

Sensor is a no-nonsense line with good tensile strength and a bulk spool, kept in a dry, dark place, will last a couple of seasons, depending how fussy you are about changing your mono.

Exactly. I have a Drennan series 7 float reel. The spools are very shallow and take about 100 yds give or take.
After a few sessions where I ditch the first few yards where the shot has been pinched etc I renew it with cheap as chips Sensor from those bulk spools. On this reel not 8lb as the post says but the principal is the same with my pins with heavier line I use for close up carping.

As for line twist I think bait runners are a major factor although I have just ditched a Shakey Mach 3 reel that seemed to have developed a fault and made the line a terrible mess. Life is to short to try to fix it.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Why should a bait runner create line twist? The line is pulled off under tension which may be the cause as opposed to just spooling off on the cast. However a cast can be 100 metres or more whereas the line allowed an errant carp is far less and might be only 10 metres or so.

Keith M

Reaction score
Why should a bait runner create line twist? The line is pulled off under tension which may be the cause as opposed to just spooling off on the cast. However a cast can be 100 metres or more whereas the line allowed an errant carp is far less and might be only 10 metres or so.

I can’t remember when any of my reels caused me problems with line twist, with or without having a baitrunner function. The last time was about 20 years ago when I used to cast Carp rigs to the horizon on a regular basis, but even then it was fairly rare.

You watch; now I’ve said that, it will start happening to me again :doh:

Keith

Last edited: