Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    leafy cheshire
    Posts
    10,942

    Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

    I use Sensor and Progold in 4,5 and 6 lb and cannot fault them. I use them for float and feeder fishing.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    4,178

    Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

    Quote Originally Posted by barbelboi View Post
    You didn't scroll far enough down the list.....................

    Aha, got it, do they have stock, there’s no indication in that website, unless I’m still missing stuff

  3. #23

    Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

    Sensor seems pretty good vfm.....I tried a small spool of Drennan DS but I dont really like it tbh, it seems very tangle prone on my new Daiwa reel.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3
    Posts
    11,302

    Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hertsbloke View Post
    Sensor seems pretty good vfm.....I tried a small spool of Drennan DS but I dont really like it tbh, it seems very tangle prone on my new Daiwa reel.
    If by vfm you mean cheap then Sensor is certainly that. Its a marmite line...some people love it and then there is me. I wouldnt have the stuff in the house let alone on my reels. That said it will certainly do the job mentioned as will plenty of other lines. If I had to choose between Maxima and Sensor, both proper old school lines, then it would be Maxima for me. You could stop a trawler on 8lb Maxima.

    And...much as I hate Sensor I'd choose that over Drennan DS any day. Nasty stuff....dont trust it.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

    Whats the diiiference between old school and new school lines? Serious question ?

  6. #26

    Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    If by vfm you mean cheap then Sensor is certainly that. Its a marmite line...some people love it and then there is me. I wouldnt have the stuff in the house let alone on my reels. That said it will certainly do the job mentioned as will plenty of other lines. If I had to choose between Maxima and Sensor, both proper old school lines, then it would be Maxima for me. You could stop a trawler on 8lb Maxima.

    And...much as I hate Sensor I'd choose that over Drennan DS any day. Nasty stuff....dont trust it.
    LOL I think you could stop two trawler's on 8lb Maxima mate. I think maxima is useless over 6lb but the best around line you can buy in the smaller sizes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3
    Posts
    11,302

    Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

    Quote Originally Posted by daniel121 View Post
    LOL I think you could stop two trawler's on 8lb Maxima mate. I think maxima is useless over 6lb but the best around line you can buy in the smaller sizes, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Its certainly reliable. I used it for years until I found something which,imo, was better. I dont personally think one line can do everything well....I have various brands on my reels atm depending on what it is I'm trying to do. I do like Pro Gold but it is rather thick...or underated depending on how you look at it. I think Jerry is about right...6lb PG is effectively an 8lb bs line.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    There
    Posts
    5,188

    Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hertsbloke View Post
    Whats the diiiference between old school and new school lines? Serious question ?
    I should think it refers to lines that have stood the test of time and are not thinner pre strected hi tech lines. I have tried these and found I am too ham fisted for them.

    I use mostly Sensor for the brute stuff and maxima for the 2lb silver stuff. I have recently spooled up with 3.2lb bs Drennan floatfish for a trial for silversl. Seems OK.

    I have recently reverted to Bayer Perlon for the finer hooklinks for silvers. 1.7 and 2.6 . I used it for donkeys years before trying the hi tech hooklinks. Like coming home!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3
    Posts
    11,302

    Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

    Bayer. Another line I dont get on with. I like lines with a bit of stretch in them though not knicker elastic level and I've found a couple of newer lines ( I wouldnt exactly call them hi tec) that I'm happy with. I'm currently on some stuff from Matrix which is low(er) diameter which is performing well. A co-polymer which most of my favoured lines seem to be.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

    Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    Its certainly reliable. I used it for years until I found something which,imo, was better. I dont personally think one line can do everything well....I have various brands on my reels atm depending on what it is I'm trying to do. I do like Pro Gold but it is rather thick...or underated depending on how you look at it. I think Jerry is about right...6lb PG is effectively an 8lb bs line.
    Oh I agree mate 100%, don't get me wrong.

    I use a braid for super long distance feeder work, daiwa tournament St for all other feeder work, Preston reflo power for pole rigs and hook links and maxima from 2lb to 4lb for almost everything else.

    But the OP wanted a one size fits all line, to me that's maxima. But it's all personal daiwa sensor debates on this forum proves that
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •