Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How long’s a piece of mono?

Sorry couldn’t resist. You've asked one question that will have a multitude of answers.

daniel121

Reaction score
As S63 states correctly you have asked a question that has multitude of answers, not because we are being awkward rarher there are too many variants.

Rig mono, reel mono, feeder mono?? Explain what you wish to do with it, and then we may be able to help you more.:)

flightliner

Reaction score
All round? At one time I would have said Daiwa sensor but last year I needed some 8lb mono and it wasn't in stock locally so I picked up some Shimano specimen and I now think it's spot on for my needs. I've had Tench to near nine lbs, some lovely Barbel and BReam , all or most at long range .
Recently my direction / target fish has changed to some roach and I have been using Shimano match -- can't fault it .
Try both, hope this helps.

daniel121

Reaction score
Light method or float work, commercial lakes and canals.....

Ok try 5-6lb Maxima original, 6lb Maxima is tow rope it will break much higher than it stated breaking strain, I would not use any heavier than that because it coils. That's my recommendation, but I have to say its way too heavy for canal work.

john step

Reaction score
I would say why specifically 8lb?
Commercial feeder or float for lumps yes. Canal doubtfully too heavy for traditional canal work unless you are aiming for the carp that frequent Herts canals in numbers or at least when I used to fish there?

You may well start another round of Sensor wars here though. I love it for hefty work as its OK and you can change it frequently at about £8 for about a mile of the stuff on a bulk spool.

Others hate it for some unfathomable reason and have their own favourite.

rich66

Reaction score
I’d go 6lb for what your saying, I use Daiwa Sensor in 3lb & 6lb
3 for float on the canals etc, step it up to 6lb on the carp lakes i frequent. 16lb is my largest on 6lb sensor. I’ve 8lb maxima on my bait runner reel that’ll winch in most fish I catch.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
The heaviest reel line I use is 6lb. For value the Daiwa sensor bulk spools take some beating. Not had a problem using it.

That said if cost was not a factor Maver stone river is superb line.

For float fishing sinking line maxima 4lb. Floating Drennan float fish.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
All round? At one time I would have said Daiwa sensor but last year I needed some 8lb mono and it wasn't in stock locally so I picked up some Shimano specimen and I now think it's spot on for my needs. I've had Tench to near nine lbs, some lovely Barbel and BReam , all or most at long range .
Recently my direction / target fish has changed to some roach and I have been using Shimano match -- can't fault it .
Try both, hope this helps.

Have you tried Shimano silk shock,? Its a very good line,

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
actually I’ve given the wrong info ....I actually have another reel with light line for canals, so this will be for commercial lakes with lots of carp etc.

daniel121

Reaction score
My advice remains the same, personally I would use maxima original for what you are describing

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
For feeder fishing I would tend to use a either a maroon or black coloured line these days, Cralusso do some nice ones. For float fishing I'd use very light green or clear lines, Sufix Excelon or Shimano Ultegra Invisitec. Gardner used to do a nice green one called HydroFlo, but I can't seem to find it these days. However, Ultima Power Plus is also a good one.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For Carp on a commercial pool the I opt for Shimano Technium in 8lb breaking strain. . . . . it has low stretch of just 12%, great knot strength and it is a triple core line so is still supple but also long lasting.

It is a little more expensive than most lines, but then quality is rarely cheap.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You want 8lb then it's got to be Pro-Gold 6lb ......................

Was about to suggest this but not sure a bulk spool for twenty quid is what the op is looking for.