Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

Need advice on the above please guys......

Default Re: Best all rounder 8lb mono ?

How long’s a piece of mono?

Sorry couldn’t resist. You've asked one question that will have a multitude of answers.

As S63 states correctly you have asked a question that has multitude of answers, not because we are being awkward rarher there are too many variants.

Rig mono, reel mono, feeder mono?? Explain what you wish to do with it, and then we may be able to help you more.
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

Blog Entries

All round? At one time I would have said Daiwa sensor but last year I needed some 8lb mono and it wasn't in stock locally so I picked up some Shimano specimen and I now think it's spot on for my needs. I've had Tench to near nine lbs, some lovely Barbel and BReam , all or most at long range .
    Recently my direction / target fish has changed to some roach and I have been using Shimano match -- can't fault it .
    Try both, hope this helps.

Light method or float work, commercial lakes and canals.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hertsbloke View Post
    Light method or float work, commercial lakes and canals.....
    Ok try 5-6lb Maxima original, 6lb Maxima is tow rope it will break much higher than it stated breaking strain, I would not use any heavier than that because it coils. That's my recommendation, but I have to say its way too heavy for canal work.
    The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams!

I would say why specifically 8lb?
    Commercial feeder or float for lumps yes. Canal doubtfully too heavy for traditional canal work unless you are aiming for the carp that frequent Herts canals in numbers or at least when I used to fish there?

You may well start another round of Sensor wars here though. I love it for hefty work as its OK and you can change it frequently at about £8 for about a mile of the stuff on a bulk spool.

Others hate it for some unfathomable reason and have their own favourite.

I’d go 6lb for what your saying, I use Daiwa Sensor in 3lb & 6lb
    3 for float on the canals etc, step it up to 6lb on the carp lakes i frequent. 16lb is my largest on 6lb sensor. I’ve 8lb maxima on my bait runner reel that’ll winch in most fish I catch.

The heaviest reel line I use is 6lb. For value the Daiwa sensor bulk spools take some beating. Not had a problem using it.

That said if cost was not a factor Maver stone river is superb line.

For float fishing sinking line maxima 4lb. Floating Drennan float fish.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    All round? At one time I would have said Daiwa sensor but last year I needed some 8lb mono and it wasn't in stock locally so I picked up some Shimano specimen and I now think it's spot on for my needs. I've had Tench to near nine lbs, some lovely Barbel and BReam , all or most at long range .
    Recently my direction / target fish has changed to some roach and I have been using Shimano match -- can't fault it .
    Try both, hope this helps.
    Have you tried Shimano silk shock,? Its a very good line,

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast