Newcomers to Angling

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
There are a fair few posts made about people starting out or their children/grandchildren want to start fishing, and they are aking advice on tackle tactics etc, Everyone seems to give advice, myself included for what its worth, but no one seems to offer help in actually showing how things are done, If any new angler is starting out around the Oxford area, and occasionally Warrington, i would be willing to help them or their children/grandchildren as long as responsible adult present to get into the sport, I have limited knowledge on rivers though, it would be mainly pools and canals, I have tackle that can be used on the day/days if required. Maybe more FM members who have free time could do something similar in their area.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is a nice gesture and I applaud your initiative, without wishing to put a dampener on your idea please consider your responsibilities very carefully. Sadly we see all too often that there are adults that are anything but “responsible”. There are many angling tutors that are DBS cleared, I’m not suggesting you should be but in this world where some would seek profit from a claim it pays to have your wits about you.

In a previous hobby we encouraged children to get involved but we had to stop because of the sort of legislation I’ve mentioned above.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

rich66

Reaction score
For a few years now wished I could do similar. I get a lot of enjoyment out of teaching people new things, I tend to mentor at work a lot.
Unfortunately I think you would have to do it on a professional level if it involved juveniles and all the risks involved in working with them.

But adults I can’t see too much of a problem ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
By resonsible adult i should have put parent or legal guardian, I used to run a junior section of local angling club, but made sure parents were there at at times, I can see the points made about the kids and i suppose in the present climate it would be difficult, As for adults there should be no problems there, or i would think if fparent and child wanted to learn at the same time, It would be done for free, The offer is out there if anyone would like to try and take up fishing, Another way is to contact Get Hooked On Fishing, this is a charitable organisation that helps families or kids get into fishing, I have helped out at shows, and Sarah the CEO is very enthusiastic about what they do,