Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New to pole fishing

Your short stop would be mainly for F1s, I would put 8-10 in it, with it being shorter they will surface quicker can be netted more quickly.
    What pole is it ,?
    MAP do a shallow topkit, Tricast do a short topkit and Preston innovations did one. Daiwa do one but not sure for margin pole

Thanks Mark, that fits in with what I was thinking. I bought a Preston edge monster 8.5m, it came with two power tops kits and I bought two more plus the short stop. No less than Jamie Hughes advised me to load the power top kits, with 12/14 and 14/16 (2 of each) on one of Q&As they are doing during the lockdown.

As you say loading the shortstop lighter will allow it to load up that bit quicker giving another option. I’ve been putting together all the bits I need to tie my rigs, and I’m going to give tying my own hook lengths a go, both for the pole and my feeders. I feel everything could be just a bit lighter than all the pre tied stuff available.

Mike

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Check the Guru pretied hooklengths, various sized hooks to various sized line, some plain hook others banded, Preston's are the same, plus they do quick stops as well. All the above are mainly 6" hooklenghts. You can get 12" hooklengths as well in various sizes. I use pretied for nearly all my fishing, even ready made rigs are used . If I dont like the hook on ready made rig I will change it for one I think is more suitable for my situations, Do this mainly on Drennan ready made rigs.

Cheers Mark, I’ve decided to stick with the pre tied hooks I already use on my method feeders. Where I get confused is when watching the people on you tube advise using mainlines that are lighter than pre tied hooks, and when they tie their own its on lighter line.

I’m trying to use this lockdown time to streamline and simplify everything, hooks, line, floats, feeder etc. I was like a chicken with no head when I came back to fishing, splashing out bits of all sorts with no plan, my tackle bag is like Steptoes yard.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12