How to deal with a Pike on the bank ?

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
Fancy doing some Perching, using either drop shot, float, or jigs...

If I drop shot, I'll probably use braid with a flouro leader.

I know Im going to end up with a Pike on at some point....

And it scares me...lol.

Not quite scared, but very nervy as Ive never had to deal with a Pike on the bank in my life....

Do;s and donts please guys ?

Keith M

Reaction score
I turn my Pike onto its back and lay a damp towel across it and kneel on the towel either side of the Pike (which is laying on its back between my knees) to hold it firm and stop it thrashing about, then with the gloved hand I open up the pikes bottom jaw, and with the other hand I remove the hook with some forceps or long handled pliers.

So If there’s a chance of catching a Pike I take a thick garden glove, some forceps or long handled pliers and a damp towel.

Keith

Last edited:

Hertsbloke

Reaction score
That sounds like placing my family jewels very close to a lot of very sharp teeth ! lol

I get the drift tho. Woiuld deffo have some big old tongs

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Firstly you’ve done well to respect the risks of landing a pike, i was (still am) quite a way off from being confident handling the toothy critters. I was lucky in landing my very first pike of 8lb in the fact that I was using a circle hook nicely placed in its scissors which came out with long forceps in the net without the fish needing to be touched.

Lots of good videos on the tube, have all the necessary tools for the job and a mat to hand and have a few plasters in your kit!

Keith M

Reaction score
A lot of damage to Pike is done by anglers who are too frightened to touch them, and they allow them thrash about on the bank too much because they are just too scared of being bitten.

Be wary of their teeth yes; but if you are confident when you are handling them then you will be fine.

Keith

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Look to see where your hooks are before proceeding to handle the fish. Insert two fingers under the gill plate, keeping them well away from any hooks. Lift the pike's head and its mouth will usually open. Use a pair of 12 inch (approx) forceps to grip and remove the hooks - top hook first, then the lower (if used). If the hooks are in deeper near the throat, insert the forceps through the gaps in the gills below your holding-hand. Do this with great care and preferably under instruction if doing it for or the very first time - pike are far more delicate than they look.

john step

Reaction score
Go to the PIKE ANGLERS OF GB website where there is a comprehensive set of instructions. There must be a good video on Youtube. Probably dozens.

You will find the most troublesome pike are the jacks which thrash around and twirl your net up.
Be extremely careful about lifting pike from the water by hand like some do. I am always concerned that a set of trebles stuck in one finger and a jack twirling on the other set would be a risk. Not nice.

I always carry a set of purpose made pike cutters. You can cut hooks and save your landing net from a cats cradle.
You can carry spare hooks to replace when you have done this with expensive lures.

With your intended method deep hooking of a pike is very unlikely.

steve2

Reaction score
You will find the most troublesome pike are the jacks which thrash around and twirl your net up.
Be extremely careful about lifting pike from the water by hand like some do. I am always concerned that a set of trebles stuck in one finger and a jack twirling on the other set would be a risk. Not nice.

Never have understood this hand landing of pike after 50 odd years of pike fishing I have never done it. In the early days we used gaffs, big net weren't available and to be honest they didn't cause much damage if used correctly, note I used the word "correctly". No more damage than a pike tangled in a net rolling around while you struggled to untangle it.

Unhooking pike is relatively easy the main thing is not to be scared of them. Follow the instructions given on websites and if possible go with someone who knows how to do it.

john step

Reaction score
Never have understood this hand landing of pike after 50 odd years of pike fishing I have never done it. In the early days we used gaffs, big net weren't available and to be honest they didn't cause much damage if used correctly, note I used the word "correctly". No more damage than a pike tangled in a net rolling around while you struggled to untangle it.

Unhooking pike is relatively easy the main thing is not to be scared of them. Follow the instructions given on websites and if possible go with someone who knows how to do it.

Yes I had a gaff in the old days. I think they outlawed it ...maytbe early 80s?? Or possibly earlier on reflection?

David Gane

Reaction score
Just a few pointers in addition to what people have already said above:

Pike aren't homicidal maniacs. They won't make lunges at you to try to bite off your fingers. If you handle them correctly and confidently and don't put your fingers at risk they won't harm you.

The biggest risk when unhooking them comes from your own hooks, not their teeth! Keep your fingers away from your hooks.

Pike, when caught, are in more danger from you than you are from them. Their mouths are very fragile, so the correct use of adequate tools is essential when unhooking them.

When removing hooks push them backwards in the same direction they went in. This is much more effective than trying to twist them out.

Invest in a latex coated landing net. Pike have a tendency to spin when in a net and can very quickly create a hopeless tangle in the net. Latex coated nets are MUCH easier to untangle.

And, having said that, this guy seems to know what he is talking about:

YouTube

Last edited: