Beginner Pole questions - joints and top kits

MikeyF

Reaction score
Hi there.

Having fished with a fiberglass whip 35 years ago as a nipper and loved it, and having recently re-started fishing I have just managed to pick up a used pole at a great price to complement my feeder gear and have some questions...

I managed to get a great deal on a Preston CXR M600, 14.5m pole. It is a 2009-ish pole but has seen very very little use and none for a few years and is in mint condition from sections 4 through to the butt(s) - the dolly hasn't been out of the plastic sleeve. I have 5 power top kits one of which is un-touched, one without elastic and three with 4, 9 and 11 old elastic in them - one of which has a pulla-bung. Whilst cut down and used they are again in excellent condition.

I have managed to find a compatible cupping kit and am collecting that in the week.

So my questions if anyone can help....

1) When I assemble the sections some of the joints don't go all the way down the surfaced area I would expect them to slide over - maybe 1-2 inches out of 6-8 in total - they are tight and stable. Is this a problem - I'm hoping not and it is more of a problem if they go further/are loose.

2) I'm assuming that the elastics are likely very old and I'm planning to replace the ones already there. Is there any merit in retaining them even initially ?

3) Am I right in thinking that all of my 5 power top kits, and the cupping kit, should all be the exactly the same length and that I cut them down to a length so I can fit the bush for the largest elastic I'm going to use ? At the moment they are all different lengths with the lightest elastic in the shortest kit.

Planning to try it out tomorrow or Monday - before I get the cupping kit. Will use a cad pot to feed until that is sorted. If I re-elastic today/tomorrow then I wasn't going to cut them down until I have the cupping kit in my hands.

Any other comments or suggestions please ?

Many thanks
Mike

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the joints, without seeing what you mean. But do replace the elastics, and don't be tempted to try and get a bit of use from the old ones. If you've got a great pole bargain, treat yourself to fresh elastic - it's cheap enough - and fish with confidence. And yes - you will benefit from having your topkits and cupping kit the same length. After years of varying lengths, I made all mine the same and soon found out that putting your float on the exact spot your feed went in - not just within a foot or so - makes a real difference.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I agree with Kev, the joints should go further on the corresponding sections, you did not say which sections you were having problems with. Did you assemble the pole with the person you bought it off,? As for elastics, change them at earluest opportunity, easiest way is superglue new elastic to old at tip end of section and pull through to required length, cost per topkit if bushes and pullers ok is around £3 a kit.

MikeyF

Reaction score
Thanks both for your comments.

I'm in agreement on the elastics, and you made up my mind. Sorted myself out with a couple of additional pulla-bungs, and elastic so I'll have three newly strung top-kits for me to choose from depending on how it is fishing this week. Will be trying out a new commercial that is better suited to the pole than the two feeder oriented lakes I have been fishing - especially for the first few sessions (tackle shop onsite as well in case I need anything). Mixture of F1s, bream, roach, carp to 20, perch, tench so a real variety and I could be anywhere from ounces to doubles ! No snaggy pegs planned and unlikely to be in the margins....

I may trim the top-kits and re-bush once I have the cupping kit. Easy to re-tension the elastic.

On the joints - yes I assembled it with the seller when I bought it. Checked all of the sections for cracks, splits, dings and softness, put each section together with the pre-ceeding and next one. They are all genuine, matching, no repairs etc... no wear on the joints, graphics are immaculate.

I might just be being very cautious about pushing harder on them, they are certainly not well used and won't have been assembled for a few years. Will try again tomorrow and check exactly which sections (it isn't all of them), and maybe take some photos. I could look at an appropriate lubricant to see if they will ease closer ?

Once again - thanks.
Mike.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have never used a lubricant for pole sections, also if you did try there could be a possibilty of an air lock between section joints, As you push sections on give the a slight twist, I would say it would be larger sections from say number 6 to number 10 than may seem stiff to go on, the readon behind this is that these sections are the ones to be leadt taken apart when fishing, The only tip i could give is to push sections together before you leave home, to ensure good fit, then take apart and go fishing, the reason being if they stick together it would be eadier to take apart at hone with help, than on the bank if alone.