Ledger fishing with light weights on an LRF (2-20gm) rod?

tommos16

Reaction score
Hello all, hope it's been good fishing so far this weekend.

In theory, could one ledger fish with light running or fixed weights on an LRF rod in a canal? With little flow in my particular stretch, heavy weights wouldn't be needed. The rod I have has an extremely sensitive tip on it due to it primarily being made for drop shotting, so I can't see why bite indications would be an issue.

And because I'd be casting around 7m max to the centre of the track, heavy weights wouldn't be needed.

I'm just curious more than anything, as it's getting harder to decide when to strike a bite on the canal now the wind has picked up and the float is harder to see (and somehow I've contrived to lose most of my vision in my right eye despite only being 31, so depth perception is a genuine issue when watching a float).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, and tight lines all.

Cheers, Tom

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can’t see any reason that wouldn’t work, a method that doesn’t require sight is “touch” legering, a method I often use with success.

tommos16

Reaction score
Can’t see any reason that wouldn’t work, a method that doesn’t require sight is “touch” legering, a method I often use with success.
S63, thanks for your reply. I'm curious, is that just a case of holding the line in your finger and waiting for a bite? Would you just stick some shot on near the hook to weigh it down/have some casting weight?

I've found that not a great deal but Roach bite in my particular stretch and therefore I'm discovering they are very finecky bites!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep, just lightly grip between fingers, I may use just a couple of swanshot on a link or directly on the mainline, I use this mainly for chub, as you’ve discovered roach can be very shy biters, how well touch legering would work I’m not sure, give it a try and let us know!

tommos16

Reaction score
Yep, just lightly grip between fingers, I may use just a couple of swanshot on a link or directly on the mainline, I use this mainly for chub, as you’ve discovered roach can be very shy biters, how well touch legering would work I’m not sure, give it a try and let us know!
I most certainly will! Thanks again for the replies, always appreciated

jpwebster

Reaction score
Funnily enough I end up doing this quite often with my dropshotting rod when I don't have any luck on the worm or small jigs. My rod is rated 1-9g iirc and I use 3-5g inline olivettes. Can cast a fair distance, that's not a problem but bites are easier to spot closer in (within 10m). Always seems to save me from a blank, with a few roach/perch obliging. Lots of bites on the drop too if there is any depth.

Another Dave

Reaction score
What I like to do on my small river is put half a lobworm on a size 4 or 6 jighead, 3g weight. I can ledger this close in with the line just tight enough to put the slightest bend in the tip, and the worm will hold bottom in all but the strongest current. Bites consist of the rod doubling over. The fish don't seem to care that the weight is at the hook.

edit: and a small piece of any rubber lure on the hook to hold the worm in place

tommos16

Reaction score
Jpwebster, another dave, thank you for the replies. I'm also very glad to see my suspicions were right (whether it turns into success or not is another story of course). I'm a 25 minute walk from Angling direct, the excuses for not going there for maggots and worms is getting lesser by the day...

Thanks once again, Tom