Which feeder to choose here?

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Morning everyone,

Yesterday I had my first feeder fishing session in the UK. I chose a stretch on the Thames north Oxford, I think it is well known - pictures attached. I tried for chub or barbel (no idea but looked ok).

Unfortunately I could fish the close margin only, because the stream goes so strong. When fishing the Meuse for barbel and bream, I was targeting specific places with a good depth (> 12 feet), relatively quiet waters, close to stronger input of water; the maximum weight of open ended feeder I needed was 75 gr and generally 45 was ok.

But the Thames even in Oxford runs far stronger, so a 75 gr feeder is rolling on the ground, even when keeping the rod as vertical as possible.

The ground is relatively clean in that area.

So is a matter of me doing something wrong when placing the line, or should I just go up with the feeder weight? Because 3 or 4 oz (+ bait) is the maximum I would cast with my rod. In those situations do you cast upstream or downstream?? Is it the type of feeder??

Sorry, another beginner's question!!!

Pics:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
YouTube

What he says.
Then place your rod on a high rod rest pointing downstream . Bites will be drop backs, as in your bent tip will spring back straight.

Requires practice.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
I don't understand Peter.
If i set the feeder downstream from me, then ok there will be less pressure on the line. But that's the same pressure on the feeder? I mean the feeder will keep moving (and more as the bait leaves it).
And why are the bites drop backs? since it means the fish would move the feeder against the current....
I think I need a beer now......

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You don't cast downstream.
Cast directly in front of yourself or slightly up stream like he says in the video ...feed out slack line until a bow forms. Close your bale arm and put the rod in a rest. As the bow settles and tightens up your quivertip will hoop over. When a fish picks up your bait it will dislodge your feeder causing your line ( bow ) to slacken momentarily . This will cause your quivertip to spring back straight. Generally the fish hooks itself...

Last edited:

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Ah thank you so much Peter. You are great.
In fact the fist video you posted did not show when I saw your post yestersay, now it's clearer.
Perhaps I should keep the thames for a next level... but I'll try again once or twice anyway !:)
Thanks again.