Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Floating baits on a feeder rig

Try mini marshmallows also good for eating if you are peckish Where in oxford are you ? If you want to try float fishing on the canal, I can help you, also I have tackle for you to borrow if required I fished the canal circuit when I was living in the north west, also fished the oxford canal a few times over the years, it is very similar to the Shropshire union canal in the north west,I am now living in oxford and am free most days. Glad to help out if neede

Isnt' it the best forum ever

All: I will try the cheese, the cork, the marshmallows, the lobworm injections... I didn't know coarse fishing could be so technical?!

Mark: I live in the North Hinksey area i.e. west Oxford. More than happy to meet!

So today, I've managed to go to the canal for 1,5 hours only, the idea being to test.

I've been trying one of your options, the bread one (or, shall I say, the Tesco option). I took a loaf of warburton white, perhaps not the best one, I don't know. Well, it didn't work at all. Not saying anyone has lied to me of course but warburton doesn't work for me. I tried hair rigging or direct on the hook, it dissolves in about 30 secs.

After this, I found a box of orange tuttifrutti pop-up in the bag. I used it both as a real bait and a way to maintain a second hookbait over the bottom.

Since the Oxford valley is turning into a ocean, the canal has some consistent current in many places. I tried to place the feeder between the other bank and this stream.

A bit later the rod nearly went out of the rest - problably a suicidal fish?

Well at least the "off bottom" presentation seems to work better, but I will also try the other options, and probably bread again but this time with the sourdough bread.

Have a good evening.

Blog Entries

Hi ,sent you a PM regarding the canal,

Default Floating baits on a feeder rig

Quote Originally Posted by sylvanillo View Post

I've been trying one of your options, the bread one (or, shall I say, the Tesco option). I took a loaf of warburton white, perhaps not the best one, I don't know. Well, it didn't work at all. Not saying anyone has lied to me of course but warburton doesn't work for me. I tried hair rigging or direct on the hook, it dissolves in about 30 secs.
    Warburtons is usually the best I find, nice and fresh it has a good doughy texture that holds on the hook well.
    Have a look at this link. I’ve used the fold in half method and works very well for me

Idlersquest.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-way-with-bread.html

Nice fish too Floating baits on a feeder rig

Blog Entries

Warbys for me as well, I always get the thick sliced, find it stays on the hook if using punch or flake,and in summer a few pieces punched out using an apple corer and on a decent hook is an ideal bait for margin sized carp on commercials

I punch a load out at home and let them dry, really dry. Then put them in an airtight bag. You can hair rig 3-4 and get a big fluffy bait after a few minutes of it being back in the water. Saved me from a blank a time or two.

Thanks very much for the expert advice.
    A lot of things to try then.
    Yesterday I was up on the canal and tried a piece of cork on a long hair, which then hosted different hookbaits: the excellent match minis or soft hookers from Dynamite. Didn't get any bite at all, very cold anyway, but the rig is ok: a small piece of cork is able to keep 2 of those hookbaits off the bottom.

Blog Entries

Sylvain, it will be more convenient for me to arrange our canal visit after xmas The next few weeks I am back and to to Warrington, and in Yorkshire on Wednesday.

Follow-up on the subject ... after several short sessions in different places. Thank you all for helping

All attempts done on small rivers for chub.

- Bread: so I did try it, both as hookbait and as ground bait in a feeder. I've been surprised by the almost instant activity that liquidised bread creates! That's particularly been the case when adding salt and any kind of spice. The problem I've found with bread is that it seems it attracts small fish first e.g. roach, small shoals of chub. But I'll definitely use it again.

- Marshmallow: I got a bag but unfortunately my daughter found it. Too dangerous at home

- Cheese paste over a piece of cork: good results with strong bites coming quickly. But it doesn't stay on the hook

At the same time, I kept on trying with pop-ups. And wao by far the most effective hookbait!
    I've been surprised when visiting a well-established tackle shop in order to find smaller popups, when the owner said that chub 1) is never caught on a popup and 2) wouldn't care about the flavour. Well in my very very modest experience, popups have worked great, and also some of them work very well and some of them not at all.
    The 14 mm from Rod Hutchinson work well. They have an outer layer that the fish attacks and then the rest of it comes easily.
    A good thing with popups is that they help avoid smaller fish such as roach.
    That being said, I also caught a pike on it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12