Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Floating baits on a feeder rig

Good morning,

From a beginner, another stupid question

So I have gone fishing on a stretch of the little Oxford canal yesterday. I know it was cold and the water was distinctly more coloured than usual, so likely not the best conditions for a feeder junior. But when a nice sun and a blue sky are calling, what could I do??

I tried a few spots that I know from the past when I was busy with predators, that all hold some carp and chub, staying 30 to 60 min on each. After 3 hours of effort, nothing at all, not even a bite.

One thing I was wondering is how to present a hookbait slightly over the bottom? so it would be highly visible and probably more attractive to the chub.

The feeder rig I use is a classic running one, with a long hooklength because I've found it worked damn well with chub, bream, barbel. At least in Belgium!!

So I'm thinking of a very floating hookbait, with a split shot a few cms ahead so, the hooklength is sitting on the bed and the bait is presented a few cms above the bed.

I tried a corn imitations, the packages say buoyant or floating, but when I put this fake corn plus a soft pellet or a natural corn, it doesn't float at all!!!

Otherwise, I could set a boilie which does float a lot, but that doesn't provide a variety of other hookbaits.

Is there anything especially good floating bait that I can then associate with something different, either a soft pellet, a mini boilie, a corn, a lobworm etc?

Default Re: Floating baits on a feeder rig

Dry expander pellets float so try hair rigging one on a band and put a no8 shot 1inch from the hook. This will sit just off bottom and soften after a while. Take a selection of 4 6 and 8mm and see which works best.

You could also try bread crust using the same method with maybe a bigger shot. I've found sourdough bread crust floats well even when it's absorbed water.

Oh thank you very much guys!
    I will try both options then. Never seen an "expander pellet" and never tried a bread crust yet!
    Thanks again.

If they are proper sized chub you can buy a hyperdermic syringe and inject air into a lob worm to sit off bottom. Its an old trick for chub/perch/carp. it always comes with the warning not to inject yourself accidentally with air though.

Last winter I caught a few river Chub using a small (3/4oz) lead, and a bit of hair-rigged cork, wrapped in cheesepaste, about 18 inch hooklength and a size 12 hook, so that it was buoyant enough to waft in the flow and sit off the bottom, hoping to try the same again soon when the water drops a bit ;-)

A boille with a cork insert would also work . Look at the ESP/ Korda vid on bait drills and cork inserts.

Probably not the answer to your question but on the Oxford canal (or any narrowish canal) you may be better off with a float set up. That way you could present your bait off the bottom and it would move around with the movements on canals in a more natural way. It's not as if you need to cast any great distance after all.

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Probably not the answer to your question but on the Oxford canal (or any narrowish canal) you may be better off with a float set up. That way you could present your bait off the bottom and it would move around with the movements on canals in a more natural way. It's not as if you need to cast any great distance after all.
    Good idea. The only problem for now is that I'm just learning coarse fishing, I don't know float fishing yet. But yes I understand it would be a very good approach. And perhaps it's easier to learn float on a canal because it's very shallow, about 3-4 feet max I think. A bit different from the Meuse which was about 50 feet deep

A lot of people swear by stinky cheese for chub. Maybe try that instead of a buoyant bait if you think they aren't noticing it in the coloured water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast