Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    West midlands
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: optimum hook size for a canal ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sylvanillo View Post
    I've developed the same feeling about hook sizes when starting with feeder fishing. A few days ago when looking for smaller hooks at a tackle shop I brought the nÂș12 to 16 that I've been using to date, again there was a sensible difference between brands.

    But that difference between manufacturers makes sense. Think of shoes sizes. I love to go to Sports Direct and ask for a size 270, only to see the assistants's face. They've apparently never wondered whether a UK 8 is the same when it is Adidas, Nike or Salomon. Well actually not at all! There may be a difference of 0.5 to 2 cm!!!
    In the last 15 years size tables have appeared, so we should do the same with hooks.

    On a different subject, and although I consider myself as a beginner anyway, I suppose the size of the hook may match the catchable fish but it also depends on the hookbaits - type and size - as it will make a difference in the hookbait presentation and the % of hooked fish.
    First time I ever went fishing I caught a decent size bream on the same hook size and bait that I was catching tiddly roach on,

    Obviously small fish can't get bigger hooks in there mouth, but a bigger fish can bite a smaller one, suppose it depends how hungry the fish are ?

    Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    South Yorkshire.
    Posts
    2,504
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: optimum hook size for a canal ?

    I wouldn't bother too much about bigger fish, the time to worry about them is if you hook one. If they're where you fish you certainly will at some time. It's surprising what you can land with light tackle, just make sure your tackle is balanced, you'll be fine.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Posts
    2,143
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: optimum hook size for a canal ?

    It is not on hook size, but shank,gape, thickness, make, a lot of my hooks are tubrtini 808, Kamasan B511, both normal and F1,and drennan fine wire pole hooks, Guru in various patterns, I find these cover 95% of my general fishing, The other 5% are made up of old maver eagle claw, kamasan animal, and drennan specialist feeder.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •