Length of line between end of pole and float

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Cheers all, I will try putting some shot above the float then, question now is how far above the float, literally almost touching or a bit of distance

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
When I fish the Shropshire Union canal at Beeston near Tarporley, I always have a topkit made up with a dibber and feeder rig on.This is for when the locks open and the canal starts towing, In comes float rig,out goes feeder rig, This is ideal if fishing far side against the rushes,

stevejay

Reaction score
Cheers all, I will try putting some shot above the float then, question now is how far above the float, literally almost touching or a bit of distance

Afraid its going to be much the same answer as to your original question! It depends on the circumstances.
On a shallow canal with a tricky wind or surface skim, a small backshot, say a 8 or 10, close to the pole float, literally an inch from the side eye, can sink a short length of line between float and pole and aid control. Alternatively, some situations, say strong winds, may require a more substantial shot, e.g. a BB, which would need to be further away to avoid sinking the float whenever the pole tip moved.
Despite the earlier posts, i think there are a lot of useful videos on You Tube about this. Cadence TV is a good option, focussing more on techniques than product marketing, although that does feature too.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Afraid its going to be much the same answer as to your original question! It depends on the circumstances.
On a shallow canal with a tricky wind or surface skim, a small backshot, say a 8 or 10, close to the pole float, literally an inch from the side eye, can sink a short length of line between float and pole and aid control. Alternatively, some situations, say strong winds, may require a more substantial shot, e.g. a BB, which would need to be further away to avoid sinking the float whenever the pole tip moved.
Despite the earlier posts, i think there are a lot of useful videos on You Tube about this. Cadence TV is a good option, focussing more on techniques than product marketing, although that does feature too.
Cheers cadence rings a bell I might of seen a video or 2 before perhaps, I do try and watch videos on fishing but there are so many and no 2 anglers do things the same it seems alot of the time, I'm learning a lot of fishing techniques are preference

John Keane

Reaction score
General bottom fishing at distances of 6m+ I tend to have 1ft to 15” between pole tip and float. Up in the water, frantic hard pellet fishing and slapping the rig, around 3”. Using a whip and fishing to hand for livebaits, around 6ft depending on how much of the whip I’m using. Down the side for lumps, around 6”

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Do you find 3" a tad short for slapping the rig John. ? My preference is around 9" - 12" .If allowed I will tap water surface with tip of pole, or pour water in from cad pot on end of topkit.Down the side depending on the peg and fishery rules regarding line to float length try and keep it as short as possible and also as close to the bank as i can to stop anything getting behind rig .Whip fishing,the line is normally around 9" shorter than the length of the whip, to allow for bend in top and swing fish to hand.

Last edited:

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I was told it depends on water colour also ? If water is clear the fish will see your pole over them so best to have longer line ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
The water in the majority of commercial fisheries is coloured up due to carp and other fish feeding on the bottom,on the off chance you want to colour it up yourself just use a landing net and handle. As has been posted before on this you dont want a long line down the margins especially if stick ups or lily beds are there,

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
The water in the majority of commercial fisheries is coloured up due to carp and other fish feeding on the bottom,on the off chance you want to colour it up yourself just use a landing net and handle. As has been posted before on this you dont want a long line down the margins especially if stick ups or lily beds are there,
So on a 4m whip I want the total line length 9 inches shorter than 4m, so that's what about 148 inches length total ?

And if its elasticated do I want the line even shorter to allow for length of stretched elastic when a fish is on, to fish to hand ?

John Keane

Reaction score
Do you find 3" a tad short for slapping the rig John. ? My preference is around 9" - 12" .If allowed I will tap water surface with tip of pole, or pour water in from cad pot on end of topkit.Down the side depending on the peg and fishery rules regarding line to float length try and keep it as short as possible and also as close to the bank as i can to stop anything getting behind rig .Whip fishing,the line is normally around 9" shorter than the length of the whip, to allow for bend in top and swing fish to hand.

In the summer I often go to Lingmere fishery on the Wirral for a warm evening session. This invariably involves fishing up in the water, no deeper than 9”. I was doing this one evening with around 9” between pole tip and float and the owner Steve Openshaw came round for a chat. He is a match fisherman with a formidable reputation in the North West and he proceeded to treat me to a masterclass by taking my rig apart (literally) by shortening the hooklength, altering the shotting and shortening the tip to float distance to 3” and I began to hit bites that were just quick dips as well as getting sailaways that hooked themselves. It was awkward with such a short rig to keep the float steady in the water but I was only fishing top 2+1 and in practice the float never stayed in situ for more than half a second before another fish took.
After a while it became a rhythm of throw a pinch of pellet with left hand, drop rig in, if a take was not immediate, slap rig over once, twice or three times and then a take usually resulted.
Think my record was 80+ fish for a 4.5hr session, which would have been a respectable match weight of 100lb+
Not the kind of fishing I’d like to do all the time but good fun on a warm summer evening Session.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
So on a 4m whip I want the total line length 9 inches shorter than 4m, so that's what about 148 inches length total ?

And if its elasticated do I want the line even shorter to allow for length of stretched elastic when a fish is on, to fish to hand ?

I would not fish a whip on a commercial unless it had a good stock of silvers in it, there is always the chance you hook an F1, then take longer than necessary to get it out, Why elasticate a whip,? you are effectively turning it into a short pole,

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I would not fish a whip on a commercial unless it had a good stock of silvers in it, there is always the chance you hook an F1, then take longer than necessary to get it out, Why elasticate a whip,? you are effectively turning it into a short pole,
I see some sold and advertised as 4m elasticated whips, that come already elasticated, middy sell one think it is called a battlezone, if a reputable fishing company is selling them I presume there is a use for them ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Check the elastic rating on it, it is more akin to a short pole, I have answered to the best of my ability the same questions you ask in different format. I am now going to take a well earned break from them

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Check the elastic rating on it, it is more akin to a short pole, I have answered to the best of my ability the same questions you ask in different format. I am now going to take a well earned break from them
You always answer my questions, I thank you and I'm grateful,

If I'm guilty of reading an answer and having a question about it or wondering what if, again I apologise,

I'm new trying to figure all this out, answers often lead to other questions,

Not trying to be annoying just trying to learn.

Plenty of books and videos out there I will figure it out eventually lol

Thank you for your time

John Keane

Reaction score
I use a 5m Daiwa whip which has the top 3m telescopic and the bottom 2m are 2 section take apart. I use it for catching livebaits on a pike water that allows the practice. My rig length is around 3m, tied to the flick tip, to enable me to swing fish into hand after unshipping the bottom 2 sections. I once hooked a carp of around 10lb on it which I played for a good 15 minutes before it and I parted company.

I wouldn’t recommend fishing a whip on a commercial and if you’re contemplating an elasticated whip then you‘ll do better with a normal pole fished at short range, especially if it has a side puller and light-ish hollow elastic like Preston Hollo Red or Daiwa Pink or Blue Hydro. Good fun and you can control some real lumps on such an outfit.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
You always answer my questions, I thank you and I'm grateful,

If I'm guilty of reading an answer and having a question about it or wondering what if, again I apologise,

I'm new trying to figure all this out, answers often lead to other questions,

Not trying to be annoying just trying to learn.

Plenty of books and videos out there I will figure it out eventually lol

Thank you for your time

The answers I gave are from my own experiences, other members on here will give answers based on their experiences, you will have to see what works for you according to venues and species you wish to catch. One question can give ten different answers.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm probably going to learn more doing than reading, trial and error etc,

Theres more than 1 way to fish even on the same venue,

I'm just a sponge at the moment trying to absorb as much as I can from as many people as possible, some of it easy absorbed some of it not so,

I will try 1 way and if that's not working I will try what somebody else suggests and keep doing so until I find the right balance for me,

No 2 days are the same even on the same venue i would imagine so I'm aware I will often have to swap and change,

I dont fish on fisheries at the moment I'm not willing to embarrass myself lol,

Just fishing my local canal so dont have to worry to much about big fish, but it would be nice to be able to deal with the odd one that comes along,

That's why I was thinking short pole/whip with a bit of elastic just incase I get a surprise,

I thought the definition of a whip was its length rather than if it was elasticated or not, and I only base this on the fact that short poles that are elasticated are advertised as whips, on ebay anyway,

Just wish this weather would hurry up and change for the better so I can get stuck in and give it a good crack.