Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  18
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

He is a good angler, normally always in the frame at Partridge, I will give that a go, may practise first so dont get tangled,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POLEMINATOR View Post
    So on a 4m whip I want the total line length 9 inches shorter than 4m, so that's what about 148 inches length total ?

And if its elasticated do I want the line even shorter to allow for length of stretched elastic when a fish is on, to fish to hand ?
    Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    I would not fish a whip on a commercial unless it had a good stock of silvers in it, there is always the chance you hook an F1, then take longer than necessary to get it out, Why elasticate a whip,? you are effectively turning it into a short pole,

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    I would not fish a whip on a commercial unless it had a good stock of silvers in it, there is always the chance you hook an F1, then take longer than necessary to get it out, Why elasticate a whip,? you are effectively turning it into a short pole,
    I see some sold and advertised as 4m elasticated whips, that come already elasticated, middy sell one think it is called a battlezone, if a reputable fishing company is selling them I presume there is a use for them ?

THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

Blog Entries

Check the elastic rating on it, it is more akin to a short pole, I have answered to the best of my ability the same questions you ask in different format. I am now going to take a well earned break from them

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    Check the elastic rating on it, it is more akin to a short pole, I have answered to the best of my ability the same questions you ask in different format. I am now going to take a well earned break from them
    You always answer my questions, I thank you and I'm grateful,

If I'm guilty of reading an answer and having a question about it or wondering what if, again I apologise,

I'm new trying to figure all this out, answers often lead to other questions,

Not trying to be annoying just trying to learn.

Plenty of books and videos out there I will figure it out eventually lol

Thank you for your time

I watched this last night, it’s worth a watch some good tips I thought.

I use a 5m Daiwa whip which has the top 3m telescopic and the bottom 2m are 2 section take apart. I use it for catching livebaits on a pike water that allows the practice. My rig length is around 3m, tied to the flick tip, to enable me to swing fish into hand after unshipping the bottom 2 sections. I once hooked a carp of around 10lb on it which I played for a good 15 minutes before it and I parted company.

I wouldn’t recommend fishing a whip on a commercial and if you’re contemplating an elasticated whip then you‘ll do better with a normal pole fished at short range, especially if it has a side puller and light-ish hollow elastic like Preston Hollo Red or Daiwa Pink or Blue Hydro. Good fun and you can control some real lumps on such an outfit.

Blog Entries

Is that the conny whip John ,? I am looking for a decent tele/take apart. I had the 8 metre SR3 Whip.at shorter lengths it was good, go out to 8 metres and it was heavy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POLEMINATOR View Post
    You always answer my questions, I thank you and I'm grateful,

If I'm guilty of reading an answer and having a question about it or wondering what if, again I apologise,

I'm new trying to figure all this out, answers often lead to other questions,

Not trying to be annoying just trying to learn.

Plenty of books and videos out there I will figure it out eventually lol

Thank you for your time

The answers I gave are from my own experiences, other members on here will give answers based on their experiences, you will have to see what works for you according to venues and species you wish to catch. One question can give ten different answers.

Yeah, I'm probably going to learn more doing than reading, trial and error etc,

Theres more than 1 way to fish even on the same venue,

I'm just a sponge at the moment trying to absorb as much as I can from as many people as possible, some of it easy absorbed some of it not so,

I will try 1 way and if that's not working I will try what somebody else suggests and keep doing so until I find the right balance for me,

No 2 days are the same even on the same venue i would imagine so I'm aware I will often have to swap and change,

I dont fish on fisheries at the moment I'm not willing to embarrass myself lol,

Just fishing my local canal so dont have to worry to much about big fish, but it would be nice to be able to deal with the odd one that comes along,

That's why I was thinking short pole/whip with a bit of elastic just incase I get a surprise,

I thought the definition of a whip was its length rather than if it was elasticated or not, and I only base this on the fact that short poles that are elasticated are advertised as whips, on ebay anyway,

Just wish this weather would hurry up and change for the better so I can get stuck in and give it a good crack.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast