Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Self hooking rigs ?

Good or bad ? Worth a try or a big no no ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

Default Re: Self hooking rigs ?

The name gives it away - the fish hooks itself.....................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Like everything they have there uses. Depends what you’re after

Quote Originally Posted by barbelboi View Post
    The name gives it away - the fish hooks itself.....................
    Never would of guessed lol

In practice any 4” hooklength anchored to a heavy Method feeder is a self-hooking rig. Nothing controversial about them despite some more traditional anglers pouring scorn on them.

Strange thing about self hooking rigs is that they are banned on most commercial carp lakes on fish welfare grounds but classed as OK on carp lakes were the welfare of carp is seen as paramount. I would think that we have all used them at so time or the other.

Unless it hooks deeper or something, why does it matter if a hook self hooks or hooks with a strike ? The fish is hooked regardless, surely the best welfare of a fish is for it not to be hooked if there worried about welfare ?

Quote Originally Posted by POLEMINATOR View Post
    Unless it hooks deeper or something, why does it matter if a hook self hooks or hooks with a strike ? The fish is hooked regardless, surely the best welfare of a fish is for it not to be hooked if there worried about welfare ?
    Which opens up another can of worms, should we fish at all if we are worried about fish welfare?

Regarding self hooking rigs on most commercials all rigs are suppose to be free running so the weight fulls off if the line breaks. On other carp lakes where rigs are not free running the rigs is suppose to release the weight if the line breaks or the fish is snagged. From what I have seen this doesn't always happen and the fish ends up towing around a few ounces of lead.

Unless there is absolutely zero resistance, there's some level of self hooking in every rig. The efficiency of the self hooking effect tends to depend on weight when legering and resistance through the water in the case of floats. The effect can be enhanced when legering by the use of heavier bobbins and stiffer tips. When fishing rivers, the flow itself can be utilised to increase self hooking. There are an awful lot of people that are rather puritanical about bolt rigs, (semi) fixed leads and hair rigs that are happily using self hooking rigs in a different form.

When it comes to fish welfare, things have got incredibly murky. The number of people that are desperate to berate others on the topic, seemingly just to prove that they care more, is to the point of being ridiculous. The sad part of it all is that they seem to conveniently forget that they are sticking hooks in fish, and dragging them out of their natural environment, for their own fun. No amount of soft nets, unhooking mats and fish care kits will negate that fact.
    Last edited by sam vimes; 24-01-2020 at 15:07.

Entirely agree. Any rig imply one or more tricks to encourage self hooking. And I've discovered it's even more with coarse fishing.

With a method feeder, self-hooking uses the feeder weight itself as the bigger fish will move the feeder horizontally or vertically which will set the hook, if there's a stop the smaller fish hooks itself on the stop, and there's the tip resistance as well.

But I know some people in France say they don't use a feeder rod, they've always been using any type of strong rod with a spring (the ancestor of the method feeder) and a very short hooklink, and they like it because a big fish literally hooks itself and dislodges the rod. A bit brutal?....

On the other hand, a loop rig and a very long hooklink is so efficient in itself, and I have never ever seen a hook deeply swallowed. I remember the barbel and big bream in Belgium, when using a long 5 or 6 ft hooklink, well I'm pretty sure that they hook themselves on the stop. And on the canal the other day, I was surprised that the feeder being between 2 stops at a small distance of 3 inches make a roach self hook so well. All had the hook on lip so I suppose that's good enough as a non-barbarian rig. Good enough for me as well, since to date I haven't managed to strike on a feeder take!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast