Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

I do think that during clear water conditions fish do not appreciate a pole waving over their heads. That is why a longer line is sometimes used.
    Depth and clarity variations I think.

There are many variations governed by conditions IMO .
    Yesterday for instance I was fishing in 5' of fairly coloured water. The carp in that lake are big, averaging 8-18lb. There was no wind and due to the size of the carp I wanted my rig as short as possible as I knew a lot of elastic would be pulled out.I had just 4" above my float. If my rig had been long it would have been very tricky to land them on a topkit, even with puller bungs.
    In windy conditions I like a couple of feet so if the pole is blowing about it doesn't disturb my float. Had that been the case yesterday I would have used a rod and line.
    On a deep river using a top 4 rig I'd have at least 5' of line between poletip and float. As pointed out above, in clear water I'd also prefer a longer line as I believe fish can spook at a pole over their heads.
    Broadly speaking there is no correct or optimum length between pole and float, conditions dictate the length for me.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Petr have you tried backshotting pole float, also depending on conditions I have used a heavier float than normal, to stop it blowing about even soon short line.

Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    Petr have you tried backshotting pole float, also depending on conditions I have used a heavier float than normal, to stop it blowing about even soon short line.
    I was in my tackle shop Saturday and the fella told me I should always put a little shot above my float, is this what you mean by back shotting ?

What's the idea behind a shot above the float ? If your line is shotted correctly and the float sinks correctly, the float should remain as stable as it can be ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

Petr have you tried backshotting pole float..
    Yes of course but I find it can cause my float to lift or drop giving false bites so I tend not to..
    I tie all my own rigs and have a selection of at least 60 in my box. I can usually find one to suit...

Blog Entries

I tend to use a heavier float but same size line and hook ,if I am fishing the margins and a lighter one would be wafted about by feeding fish giving false indications.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POLEMINATOR View Post
    I was in my tackle shop Saturday and the fella told me I should always put a little shot above my float, is this what you mean by back shotting ?

What's the idea behind a shot above the float ? If your line is shotted correctly and the float sinks correctly, the float should remain as stable as it can be ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    It does not necessarily have to be a small shot, it can be a few number 8 shot or a BB shot, the back shot are ther to help hold line steady in a wind, can also aid fish to bite ratio. If float is shotted correctly it should be stable, it's the long line above the float that moves .

The fashion for a really short line of a few inches, often backshotted, has been driven by commercial anglers, often fishing for F1's and trying to hold their pellet hookbait right on a small patch of potted feed.

There's logic in it for that specific purpose, but it's not a general necessity. It's much easier to avoid tangles shipping out or whatever if you leave a longer lash, and imo it suits better when you're after fish like roach that move around or up and down after feed that's being thrown or catapulted.

I like to fish a bit away from the pole tip, it's easier to dodge a bit of wind, you're less likely to accidentally move your float, you have more option to let your float move with the water if that works.... If you're fairly new to pole fishing, I think it would prove a handicap to set up with the commercial carp anglers' ultra-short lash. I've enjoyed pole fishing since they came out in the 70's, and I can't really remember being left behind by nearby anglers and thinking it was down to the couple of feet of line above my float.

Just adding one thing to backshot ideas: if you ever find yourself holding back a float on running water, it can be a problem that fish pull on the pole tip and drop the bait before you can react. A large shot above the float can put an angle in the line and let a proper bite develop.

Blog Entries

Kev you fish more running waters on the pole than myself.Have you tried the flat float (lollipop)float, ? If so do you back shot those, ?
    I am asking because a stretch of canal here pulls through like a train when the locks open.A local tackle shop has had some mini flat floats made for it, I was thinking of giving them a go.

Kev you fish more running waters on the pole than myself.Have you tried the flat float (lollipop)float, ? If so do you back shot those, ?
    I am asking because a stretch of canal here pulls through like a train when the locks open.A local tackle shop has had some mini flat floats made for it, I was thinking of giving them a go.
    I'm not that familiar, Mark. The pole's good on the nearby Trent, but it tends to repay a running through rather than a holding-still style. There's a local canal, the Beeston, a 2.5 mile navigation loop around a weir, that always runs, and I've found that small flat floats like these (3/4 - 1g) work well, with an olivette and backshot as required.

That said, I can't remember when I last fished there. I found a canal that runs endlessly a bit wearing, holding your float up/back all the time, and the fishiest lengths are less than salubrious for the lone angler. Plenty do like it though, and it wouldn't be out of the way for winter league matches to be won with teens of pounds.

ps I know you didn't need a pic to know what a flat float is, but I have far too much time on my hands these days.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast