Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  18
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    West midlands
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

    Cheers all, I will try putting some shot above the float then, question now is how far above the float, literally almost touching or a bit of distance

    Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Posts
    2,162
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

    When I fish the Shropshire Union canal at Beeston near Tarporley, I always have a topkit made up with a dibber and feeder rig on.This is for when the locks open and the canal starts towing, In comes float rig,out goes feeder rig, This is ideal if fishing far side against the rushes,

  3. #23

    Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

    Quote Originally Posted by POLEMINATOR View Post
    Cheers all, I will try putting some shot above the float then, question now is how far above the float, literally almost touching or a bit of distance

    Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    Afraid its going to be much the same answer as to your original question! It depends on the circumstances.
    On a shallow canal with a tricky wind or surface skim, a small backshot, say a 8 or 10, close to the pole float, literally an inch from the side eye, can sink a short length of line between float and pole and aid control. Alternatively, some situations, say strong winds, may require a more substantial shot, e.g. a BB, which would need to be further away to avoid sinking the float whenever the pole tip moved.
    Despite the earlier posts, i think there are a lot of useful videos on You Tube about this. Cadence TV is a good option, focussing more on techniques than product marketing, although that does feature too.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    West midlands
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

    Quote Originally Posted by stevejay View Post
    Afraid its going to be much the same answer as to your original question! It depends on the circumstances.
    On a shallow canal with a tricky wind or surface skim, a small backshot, say a 8 or 10, close to the pole float, literally an inch from the side eye, can sink a short length of line between float and pole and aid control. Alternatively, some situations, say strong winds, may require a more substantial shot, e.g. a BB, which would need to be further away to avoid sinking the float whenever the pole tip moved.
    Despite the earlier posts, i think there are a lot of useful videos on You Tube about this. Cadence TV is a good option, focussing more on techniques than product marketing, although that does feature too.
    Cheers cadence rings a bell I might of seen a video or 2 before perhaps, I do try and watch videos on fishing but there are so many and no 2 anglers do things the same it seems alot of the time, I'm learning a lot of fishing techniques are preference

    Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    2,859

    Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

    General bottom fishing at distances of 6m+ I tend to have 1ft to 15” between pole tip and float. Up in the water, frantic hard pellet fishing and slapping the rig, around 3”. Using a whip and fishing to hand for livebaits, around 6ft depending on how much of the whip I’m using. Down the side for lumps, around 6”

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Posts
    2,162
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

    Do you find 3" a tad short for slapping the rig John. ? My preference is around 9" - 12" .If allowed I will tap water surface with tip of pole, or pour water in from cad pot on end of topkit.Down the side depending on the peg and fishery rules regarding line to float length try and keep it as short as possible and also as close to the bank as i can to stop anything getting behind rig .Whip fishing,the line is normally around 9" shorter than the length of the whip, to allow for bend in top and swing fish to hand.
    Last edited by markcw; 22-01-2020 at 15:56.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    West midlands
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

    I was told it depends on water colour also ? If water is clear the fish will see your pole over them so best to have longer line ?

    Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Posts
    2,162
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

    The water in the majority of commercial fisheries is coloured up due to carp and other fish feeding on the bottom,on the off chance you want to colour it up yourself just use a landing net and handle. As has been posted before on this you dont want a long line down the margins especially if stick ups or lily beds are there,

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    West midlands
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

    Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    The water in the majority of commercial fisheries is coloured up due to carp and other fish feeding on the bottom,on the off chance you want to colour it up yourself just use a landing net and handle. As has been posted before on this you dont want a long line down the margins especially if stick ups or lily beds are there,
    So on a 4m whip I want the total line length 9 inches shorter than 4m, so that's what about 148 inches length total ?

    And if its elasticated do I want the line even shorter to allow for length of stretched elastic when a fish is on, to fish to hand ?
    Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    2,859

    Default Re: Length of line between end of pole and float

    Quote Originally Posted by markcw View Post
    Do you find 3" a tad short for slapping the rig John. ? My preference is around 9" - 12" .If allowed I will tap water surface with tip of pole, or pour water in from cad pot on end of topkit.Down the side depending on the peg and fishery rules regarding line to float length try and keep it as short as possible and also as close to the bank as i can to stop anything getting behind rig .Whip fishing,the line is normally around 9" shorter than the length of the whip, to allow for bend in top and swing fish to hand.
    In the summer I often go to Lingmere fishery on the Wirral for a warm evening session. This invariably involves fishing up in the water, no deeper than 9”. I was doing this one evening with around 9” between pole tip and float and the owner Steve Openshaw came round for a chat. He is a match fisherman with a formidable reputation in the North West and he proceeded to treat me to a masterclass by taking my rig apart (literally) by shortening the hooklength, altering the shotting and shortening the tip to float distance to 3” and I began to hit bites that were just quick dips as well as getting sailaways that hooked themselves. It was awkward with such a short rig to keep the float steady in the water but I was only fishing top 2+1 and in practice the float never stayed in situ for more than half a second before another fish took.
    After a while it became a rhythm of throw a pinch of pellet with left hand, drop rig in, if a take was not immediate, slap rig over once, twice or three times and then a take usually resulted.
    Think my record was 80+ fish for a 4.5hr session, which would have been a respectable match weight of 100lb+
    Not the kind of fishing I’d like to do all the time but good fun on a warm summer evening Session.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •