Preparing bread punch ?

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
How do you guys prepare your bread ?

I've heard some people microwave it, some people put it in the oven for a few mins and some people just roll it out,

On the bank/peg, do I need to keep it moist or is keeping it covered to stop it drying out good enough ?

As for the bread flake do I simply just mix it in a blender and add a bit of water on the bank or can I keep it dry and just gently squeeze the crumb into balls ?

Again thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use warburtons toastie in orange wrapper, 4 slices in microwaves for 15 seconds, then straight into a ziplock food bag, this keeps moisture in, some people wrap slices in backfill, when I come to use it for bread punch, I remove a slice, and place it on hard surface and use required size punch, A point to make here is that bread flake pinches can also be used, If after margin carp I use either meat punch or in extreme an apple corer with bread folded over twice to get a decent sized punch.
Keep slices covered and away from sunlight or wind, both will dry it out.
To liquidize bread remove crusts in winter, blitz in blender and either freeze until required or take with you. 3 large loaves will give approx 9 pints of liquidize bread, In summer I keep crusts on slices, this gives a little extra feed . Both brown and white bread can be liquidized also brown bread when used as punch looks like a pellet. A trick if after carp using bread is to feed liquidize but use the top of a milk bottle sweet, these can be found in pick n mix aisle of sweet shops, cut the top of so you have what is really a white sweet pellet, these stay on the hook and can account for some decent sized fish.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I use warburtons toastie in orange wrapper, 4 slices in microwaves for 15 seconds, then straight into a ziplock food bag, this keeps moisture in, some people wrap slices in backfill, when I come to use it for bread punch, I remove a slice, and place it on hard surface and use required size punch, A point to make here is that bread flake pinches can also be used, If after margin carp I use either meat punch or in extreme an apple corer with bread folded over twice to get a decent sized punch.
Keep slices covered and away from sunlight or wind, both will dry it out.
To liquidize bread remove crusts in winter, blitz in blender and either freeze until required or take with you. 3 large loaves will give approx 9 pints of liquidize bread, In summer I keep crusts on slices, this gives a little extra feed . Both brown and white bread can be liquidized also brown bread when used as punch looks like a pellet. A trick if after carp using bread is to feed liquidize but use the top of a milk bottle sweet, these can be found in pick n mix aisle of sweet shops, cut the top of so you have what is really a white sweet pellet, these stay on the hook and can account for some decent sized fish.
Thank you for the detailed answer I would never of thought about using an apple corer, and now I have a valid reason to tell the mrs why I am taking bags of sweets fishing, " it's for the fish love" lol

mikench

Reaction score
I couldn't have expressed it better than Mark. I have tried the bread just microwaved as above, microwaved and rolled and just plain rolled. I can't say I noticed much difference but I have never been too successful with bread save for surface fishing with sourdough crust. It's cheap and always available.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I couldn't have expressed it better than Mark. I have tried the bread just microwaved as above, microwaved and rolled and just plain rolled. I can't say I noticed much difference but I have never been too successful with bread save for surface fishing with sourdough crust. It's cheap and always available.
Hi Mike, your the pole loving master pole fisherman I've heard about right.

I've never tried surface fishing, I presume its only for the summer months and requires a special buoyant rig ?

I would imagine I would feel like I was cheating if I caught a fish that way.

Not as bad as my brother in law though who insists that grabbing a fish of the surface in the margins with his landing net counts lol.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Interesting subject as I was asking the same to Mr Mark in person not too long ago :)

About 2 weeks ago I did try bread. I have to say I wasn't too confident about it, but since several skilled members recommended it...

Well it worked well, so well that I broke a quivertip :eek:mg:

For the bait, I used the warburtons white - always available at home due to the heavy feeding of my little one with the after-school chocolate sandwich. 15'' in the microwave and firmly rolled. Now it stayed on the hook, and for a very long time.

Some cheaper white slices from waitrose to make liquidised bread. Half a loaf was more than enough for a 1:30 session.

So I went down to a local stream. Water relatively clear. Only put the bread in an open ended cage feeder, and little portions of punched bread on the hook. Results were coming almost instantly. Unfortunately the hook was too big to hook anything small. At the end I had a more serious take, and of course with me something had to go wrong, the quivertip bended very strongly, the rod was dislodged from the rodrest, and... the tip broke and the fish, whatever it was, unhooked itself anyway.
Bread seems to work super well on small and apparently larger fish :D

rayner

Reaction score
Every time I read about bread fishing it soon becomes apparent we all fish bread differently. Nothing wrong, we're all successful enough so why change.
I have a few rules that I have stuck with for over 40yrs,
Always buy the freshest bread for the hook, use bread a few days old for feed, I never roll bread, microwave or steam.
All I do is punch the bread, my punch compresses the pellet of bread enough to keep it on the hook if I miss a bite, stop your bread from drying, I keep my bread in a designated bread box with a sliding lid.
Feed, buy the cheapest bread available and save for a few days, blitz it in the food processor then freeze, whilst it's still frozen blitz again for a very fine crumb. I don't use crust, it doesn't blitz fine enough for my liking.
Add water to allow you to throw your feed, too much and it will not throw.
Feed every cast a thumb nail piece of feed to keep fish in the swim. I also use the lightest rigs I can get away with, generally I fish for small roach so I use .06 or .08 hook length and a .10 rig line with a 20s hook, a 4 elastic is plenty strong enough for me.
You can see from my post I'm very particular about my bread and the way I use it.
My way may not be right for you, the only way is fish how you will be happy.