Hook length weaker than main line?

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
On all the pole rigs I own and on most of the ones I see for sale, the hook length always has less lb than the mainline

Why is this and does this mean that the line is only as strong as the hook length ? Hook length will break before mainline ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
A lighter hook length than main line has several advantages:

1. Better bait presentation

2. Safer in a breakage

3. Better to use when in snaggy swims

4. Ensures that a fish cannot become "tethered" to a full rig if broken

5. you only lose a hook and not the pole float as well . . . .

nottskev

Reaction score
Yes. Deliberately so. If the hooklength breaks first, the fish ends up with less tackle attached to it, and you just lose your hook and the fish. If you snag the bottom, a tree etc, you'll probably get all your gear back bar the hook, too. It's standard practice for most running line fishing, too, for the same reasons, plus others such as main line can be thicker to take the strain of casting, retrieving, having shot squeezed on etc, and hookengths can be thinner to help get bites and kept free of shot and so on. With your pole rigs, you might keep the rig on its stronger line for numerous sessions, but replace the finer hooklength during or after a session.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
A lighter hook length than main line has several advantages:

1. Better bait presentation

2. Safer in a breakage

3. Better to use when in snaggy swims

4. Ensures that a fish cannot become "tethered" to a full rig if broken

5. you only lose a hook and not the pole float as well . . . .
Thanks Peter it makes sense when put like that

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Yes. Deliberately so. If the hooklength breaks first, the fish ends up with less tackle attached to it, and you just lose your hook and the fish. If you snag the bottom, a tree etc, you'll probably get all your gear back bar the hook, too. It's standard practice for most running line fishing, too, for the same reasons, plus others such as main line can be thicker to take the strain of casting, retrieving, having shot squeezed on etc, and hookengths can be thinner to help get bites and kept free of shot and so on. With your pole rigs, you might keep the rig on its stronger line for numerous sessions, but replace the finer hooklength during or after a session.
I never thought about that, during a session when I've wanted to switch hook I have took the whole lot off and put another different one on, when in theory i could just take the hook length off a tie on the required one. Think I've become to reliant on ready made ready to go rigs, I should really learn the craft lol

laguna

Reaction score
Easy to setup. Just attach new hook length to mainline using loop to loop, or quick change bead or even a clip swivel which can function as a dropper shot too when float fishing.

l1.jpg

kek5jsop636362465114065440.jpg

CTBES.MAIN_-768x768.jpg

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Easy to setup. Just attach new hook length to mainline using loop to loop, or quick change bead or even a clip swivel which can function as a dropper shot too when float fishing.

l1.jpg

kek5jsop636362465114065440.jpg

CTBES.MAIN_-768x768.jpg
Thank you them quick change beads look handy

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I use the beads when feeder/bomb fishing,
When pole fishing ,it is either loop to loop to join mainline and hooklength or a 4 turn water knot, the disadvantage of water knot though is ,there is no consistency with length of hooklength when change it, advantage is neater presentation.,a small swivel link is used when waggler fishing this will also act as a dropper shot.
If you start to make your own pole rigs, dont forget to incorporate the weight of hook when shotting up.
You could make rigs up without hooklengths and keep a selection of hooklengths to add as required to suit species and venue.

Last edited:

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I use the beads when feeder/bomb fishing,
When pole fishing ,it is either loop to loop to join mainline and hooklength or a 4 turn water knot, the disadvantage of water knot though is ,there is no consistency with length of hooklength when change it, advantage is neater presentation.,a small swivel link is used when waggler fishing this will also act as a dropper shot.
If you start to make your own pole rigs, dont forget to incorporate the weight of hook when shotting up.
You could make rigs up without hooklengths and keep a selection of hooklengths to add as required to suit species and venue.
On the rare occasion I go fishing alone with a rod I use a waggler float and them swivels I think the knot I used is called an improved clinch knot, not even sure if that is a good knot, I also have some adaptors for the waggler float that allow it to be quick release so I can change the float size if conditions call for it.