Feeding fish in winter ?

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Just had thought pond keepers are told not to feed there fish which include carp in the winter months,

Something to do with if the temperature drops causing there metabolism to slow down and they have food in there stomach the food does not get digested and rots, then the rotted food is digested when it gets warmer and poisons the fish ?

So how are we not harming fish by fishing/feeding them in winter ?

Or is it a myth ?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

theartist

Reaction score
We always feed the fish in my dads pond through winter especially warm spells. One thing to remember is pond fish are generally less likely to burn off any food due to their confines, also Koi carp seem to be about the most delicate pond fish out there, compared to native species or even regular carp, after all they have been bred for their colour and their genes aren't as strong. Goldfish may seem to negate that theory though as they are as tough as old boots.

I can't go fishing without feeding every cast even in winter yet can use less than half a pint of maggots, I think much depends on what type of bait you're using and it could explain why fish don't like high oil pellets in winter. On the whole I reckon the fish know what to eat, how much and when, so we shouldn't worry unless we're whacking out to much bait/food which would be to the detriment of the water quality the smaller the water

barbelboi

Reaction score
Just had thought pond keepers are told not to feed there fish which include carp in the winter months,

Something to do with if the temperature drops causing there metabolism to slow down and they have food in there stomach the food does not get digested and rots, then the rotted food is digested when it gets warmer and poisons the fish ?

So how are we not harming fish by fishing/feeding them in winter ?

Or is it a myth ?

Point of interest - carp do not have a stomach...............

theartist

Reaction score
I should add regarding the pond fish that dad feeds them very little compared to summer months, just in case anyone whacks out a kilo of pond sticks tomorrow morning :D

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I should add regarding the pond fish that dad feeds them very little compared to summer months, just in case anyone whacks out a kilo of pond sticks tomorrow morning :D
I feed mine, but feed them wheat germ sticks, easier on the digestion,

rich66

Reaction score
It’s also worth remembering that a pond is a relatively small body of water for the amount of fish in it. So it’s proportionally more easy to imbalance the water quality by over feeding than it is on lake.